Fedora 6 Released....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fedora Core 6 Officially Released
Those of you interested in grabbing the new Fedora Core 6 can head over to the official website for a list of mirrors. I have been trying to post this all day but the Fedora Core 6 website has been down most of the day, it is hit & miss right now but at last check, a temp page and list of mirrors was still up. Grab it if you want it, try it if you havenÂ’t.

http://fedora.redhat.com/

just wondering if the 64 bit edition is any good and if most downloadable files for fedora will work with it thanx
rock

Using FC6 at this very moment I love it so far. No problems, it IS stable, and it comes with some compiz packages. I like my eye candy :)

Although, to get it to work, I had to enable the livna-testing repo and download a beta nvidia driver first, but it only took ~15 minutes as opposed to days upon days with FC5, and it was still unstable then.

thejeremy said:
No problems, it IS stable

Well, I guess compared to Windows, it's stable. But comparing Fedora to Slackware then no doubt Fedora sucks.

I use 3.0Ghz Pentium D's w/ 2gb of RAM in a class I'm taking, with FC5, and at random programs will begin to take FOREVER to load. Firefox, if it ever does load, takes up to 10 minutes. Gnome-terminal takes like 2 minutes, sometime programs don't even load at all, they give up. And then after a while of that, it goes back to normal, things loading fast.

I'm with horndude on this one ... no thanks.

Interesting...I've never had issues like that on my machine, and I have an AMD Athlon XP 3200+ and 1.5GB of RAM. What it comes down to is what works for you based on your own experiences, and FC has always worked for me as my first Linux distro. Plus I think it's easy to use. I guess I read these posts about how much FC sucks and I just don't get it.

Fedora is a bleeding edge software test bed, nothing more, nothing less, and it is stated quite clearly on their website

youve already tried FC 5 AND 6, im still on the same slackware system I set up years ago, youve already been thru two FC updates and my machine hasnt even been turned off in that time :)

the two bigger issues I have with Fedora core though are that it uses the rpm package management system and it also does not include much of the open source but "gray area" multimedia codecs and software

lastly, my biggest gripe is so many people fail to understand what Fedora really is then claim its something it really isnt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom