Facts you didn't know about "LOL"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate it when people treat you like garbage online just because you did not know what [insert 1337 word here] means.

I had enough of that in my WoW days

Oops I think I posted in the wrong place before... I read this article, quite interesting :p

It's the only article about the word 'LOL' out there. Wikipedia even has less info....

link:
Facts You Didn't Know About "LOL"

It would be pretty hard to write about a topic that has literally no info.

You are kidding right? This is the most uninteresting piece of communication I've ever seen. I wouldn't even go so far as to call it an article. The title of this is "Facts You Didn't Know About "LOL"" and the subject line is "Find out the mysterious facts behind this three lettered word."

First of all, the author doesn't even go into any real "mystery" ... what's the mystery of making a phrase like "Laughing Out Loud" shorter and easier for humans to type if we've been attempting to do it since the ancient times???

And what "facts" does the author present to the audience about the acronym "LOL"? Actually, just after reading this trash again, there are no clear facts presented....not one. "Bill Gates is rumored to have invented it" ... now if this were a fact, that would be interesting...I suppose. Or you COULD go so far as to say that the RUMOR, that Bill Gates invented it, in itself, is a fact. But, quite honestly, I've never heard that rumor before...ever... It's a pretty pathetic rumored tidbit too.

Last, but not least, you are saying that Wiki offers nothing???
Then, what is this: LOL (Internet slang) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Looks like a Wiki article to me.... actually, this wiki article was written at least 2 and 1/2 years PRIOR to this link presented in your post...

I don't get it.....

My guess it that you wrote it and now you want people to comment on it? Seems plausible. But still, MYBFFJILL knows more about LOL than OMFGITSJASON.

My girlfriend thought "lol" meant "lots of love", and was slightly bemused to see me type it in almost every post...

Edit: "This word is no questionably the most common used abbreviation in real life other than street, roads etc." Translation - This word is an abreviation, and is used far less commonly than other abbreviations like BBC, St, Rd, JsusThsGyJsnScksAss etc

"There are very little facts about this word" - Then why write an article about them! Hmmm, there's only one badger living in my garden, I think I'll write an essay entitled "Look at All the Hundreds of Millions of Badgers In My Garden."...

My girlfriend thought "lol" meant "lots of love", and was slightly bemused to see me type it in almost every post...

Edit: "This word is no questionably the most common used abbreviation in real life other than street, roads etc." Translation - This word is an abreviation, and is used far less commonly than other abbreviations like BBC, St, Rd, JsusThsGyJsnScksAss etc

"There are very little facts about this word" - Then why write an article about them! Hmmm, there's only one badger living in my garden, I think I'll write an essay entitled "Look at All the Hundreds of Millions of Badgers In My Garden."...

It can mean lots of love two it has dual meaning............ It could also mean lots of lemmings

I don't mind where it came from, I actually don't give a cr*p. Perhaps it will obtain historicall meaning in about a century or more. It is now a part of our communication which has been unexpectedly added, that's why languages change within centurys.
Languages also become adulterated by being impacted by other languages, specifically nowadays in a more globalized world than ever as it is helped by the 3W and global telecoms.

P.S. I also believ that thye article was quite misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom