expandin a wireless network... wirelessly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

harrytewkesbury

Baseband Member
connecting to the net when a new member joined... now i cant connect... :(

In a house of five students, we originally thought that only three of us were going to use the wireless internet connection (cable). We eventually sorted it out, and it has been running fine for a month (two with win xp, and one mac with osx). Our other flat member decided to join in and thinking that a four port router would accomodate four of us, we got her a wireless pcmcia card and she joined fine with no hassle. Now I have been unable to connect to the network at all (can't even see the damn thing) and no one knows why. Is the cable modem taking up one of the ports? This is something i would like to solve!

Also, as a secondary, we will probably have to expand the network eventually anyway. What would the best way of doing this be? Another router? is there such thing as a wireless extension which doesnt cost the earth? Any help would be great!

Setup is: Cable Modem ----> Netgear WGR614 ---> One Wireless Desktop (WinXP), One Wireless Laptop (WinXP), One Wireless IBook (Mac OSX), and now an extra Wireless Laptop (Win XP)

All Windows PCs have been fully updated(service packs etc), all firmware is updated, all drivers are up to date so no "Update your drivers please!" posts... please!

clarify: which computers are not connecting and which are...i'm assuming the macs are connecting because they will steal ip's if they have to...lol...winblows just steals the os...

what i want to know is...is the computer that won't connect a mac or pc...wireless or ethernet?

mac: seems all nodes are connected via wireless

are they connected to the network? run ipconfig /all on windows pcs to view ip stats.

you should be able to expand by just buying other wireless nics. I've never heard of a limit on how many wireless users can connect to a wireless router with default config.

well, here is the thing. The wireless side is not limited to the number of ports you have on the router. That is simply for a hardwired solution. I would consider assigning an IP to the Mac and then setting up a dhcp scope for the other machines. Only allow the mac address of each card (found on bottom of each wifi card) to be given ips. It seems that your machine might just be having a bad day ;)

BTW, max number of usable connection via wireless is only limited to the number of valid IP's you let out.

Thanks for help first off! Also, im glad that you guys pointed out that "four-port" specifies the hardwired ports. i'd assumed that it meant a connectivity limit! Anyway, you've saved me money... but still cant connect :( my machine that doesnt connect is wireless, as are all the machines to clarify. ipconfig on the windows machines gives an all clear (ie gives ip adresses etc) whereas my unconnected machine wont do an ipconfig because "the media is disconnected". i will try to enable mac filtering... but n00b though that i may be, im not sure if it will work. any other ideas? thanks

btw is there anyway of releasing the IP without being connected, or is it completely specified by the router?

Setup is: Cable Modem ----> Netgear WGR614 ---> One Wireless Desktop that won't connect(WinXP), One Wireless Laptop (WinXP), One Wireless IBook (Mac OSX), and now an extra Wireless Laptop (Win XP)

"media is disconnected"? hmmm....double check the ethernet cable that it is securely conncect to the router and the computer...double check the ethernet driver in the device manager...and...have you tried powering down the router as well as your computer...power up the router again...and then restart your computer...i'm sure you've already done this....

yeah, i've restarted it several times... i cant really do it too often cos the others who can access it get pissy with me if they are in the middle of surfing or-god forbid- the middle of a net game! bear in mind that other people can connect... its just me, so im assuming that its either my configuration, or the router's ip configuration. btw does the isp hold MAC information for the router, or our individual machines?

really not sure what your isp is doing...however...I would definately check your ethernet cable...as well as your device driver for the ethernet adapter.

The ISP only cares about the device getting an IP from them. The machines talking to the router are getting their IP's from there and so the ISP wouldn't care.
You can rightclick the My Network places Icon and go to properties. The slect the wireless interface and right click properties again. then select TCP/IP under the connection box, and click properties. Then set it to obtain an IP automatically. Also, are you able to scan for the wireless AP from your machine? if you can't then it's something in the card, or interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom