Downsides to visual studio?

jaywash

Baseband Member
I was wondering if there are really any downsides to using visual studio, i heard that the files are larger, therefor making the program slower. I ask because in my C++ book it uses visual and I want to be able to follow along as easily as possible. but if its gonna make programs slower then ill get code::blocks.

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
Honestly, in the end I feel like the best IDE is the one that works best for the person using it. For me the only downside I have with VS is that there is sooo many tools shown to you by default that if you haven't used it in a while, or just did a major version upgrade it can be over-whelming.

jaywash

Baseband Member
Honestly, in the end I feel like the best IDE is the one that works best for the person using it. For me the only downside I have with VS is that there is sooo many tools shown to you by default that if you haven't used it in a while, or just did a major version upgrade it can be over-whelming.

well at the moment the ide i get doesnt even matter XD i keep getting an error when i try to compile saying some kind of image is't found, but the code is

Code:
#include <iostream>

int main()
{
std::cout << "hello, world!" << endl;

return 0;
}

What image!?

Celegorm

Site Team
Staff member
You'll need to change the std::cout to just "cout" or change endl to "std::endl". I don't think you can mix and match styles like that.

ssc456

Fully Optimized
I don't know if there is any downsides to Visual Studio, it is widely used in very large software companies.

I don't have any problems with it, but like Celegorm has said the best IDE is the one that your are familiar and comfortable with.

jaywash

Baseband Member
You'll need to change the std::cout to just "cout" or change endl to "std::endl". I don't think you can mix and match styles like that.

Code:
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    cout << "Hello world!" << endl;
    return 0;
}

||=== Hello World, Debug ===|
ld.exe||cannot find -lSDL_image|
||=== Build finished: 1 errors, 0 warnings (0 minutes, 6 seconds) ===|

^ thats the error i get