domain?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jesspren6

In Runtime
Im a noob when it comes to servers but i just want to run a server on my old pc. I just want to host a php forum on it so i can have other people or companies put ads on my site, like google adsense. I believe if i run a php forum on my own server, i can edit more and put ads on it myself, unlike the free php forums that automaticly put the ads on your forum. So if i want to buy a domain, its just the www.----.com name right? Do i just pay once and I get to keep that domain, or do i have to pay monthly?

A domain name is technically a yearly rental. We prefer SimpleURL.com where the price is $12/yr, $22/2yrs, or $32/3yrs. They offer utilities to make it easier to set up your domain.

You will also need a static IP address from your ISP, which usually costs between $5 and $20 a month.

A domain name is technically a yearly rental. We prefer SimpleURL.com where the price is $12/yr, $22/2yrs, or $32/3yrs. They offer utilities to make it easier to set up your domain.

You will also need a static IP address from your ISP, which usually costs between $5 and $20 a month.

I've seen more than a few people use dynamic IP addresses and just use software to automatically make the changes known to their DNS servers.

I just realized that my own domain registrar (namecheap) supports this feature.

You need to find a domain registrar (someone who hooks you up with a domain name). You generally pay them less than $10/year for registration and renewals.

I use godaddy. I just purchased a .info domain name from them the other day for $.99 to post pics of my laptop for sale. Cheap and works great.

However, you don't need a domain name to have a site. You could just use your IP or a free subdomain that points to your IP. I use No-IP for this (http://www.no-ip.com).

If you are hosting at home and use a domain, you will need a DNS and a dynamic DNS updater. My favorites are ZoneEdit.com and DirectUpdate.net.

Good luck on your site!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom