Does anyone make a USB/firewire laptop charger?

tokuzumi

Beta member
The A/C adapter on my laptop is loose, and my laptop will go off of A/C power, and run on batteries. That is fine if I am using the computer, as I can wiggle the plug on the back a little bit, and things are fine. But if I am running a process overnight, the laptop will hibernate when the battery gets too low. Is there a way I can charge my laptop battery through the USB/firewire port? I have done a google search, but have not come back with anything yet.

Raffaz

Golden Master
Never heard of a USB charger. I had a similar problem with my laptop and it was the power cord causing the problem (i tested it with a multimeter)

tokuzumi

Beta member
Raffaz said:
Never heard of a USB charger. I had a similar problem with my laptop and it was the power cord causing the problem (i tested it with a multimeter)
I thought it was my power adapter, also, because it was making a clicking sound sometimes. I ordered a replacement, and while the clicking noise is gone, the plug still wiggles around, and doesn't make a connection. And Emachines doesn't have any diagrams on how to disassemble the laptop available to me, so I don't know if the a/c plug on the laptop is servicable. Next laptop needs to have a docking station available. One of life's little lessons. :rolleyes:

borat_sagdiyev

Golden Master
its actually physically impossible to charge through usb because

1. not enough power goes through usb to actually charge it properly/would take too long
2. usb isnt connected directly to the power on the battery.

but with some technical knowhow, you could resolder yourself a usb-power cord thingy but it would fry in a matter of miliseconds as the power cable inside the main usb cable (theres 4 tiny 1mm cables inside the main big covering) is only 1mm thick and it wont take much to fry it

Inside a USB cable: There are two wires for power -- +5 volts (red) and ground (brown) -- and a twisted pair (yellow and blue) of wires to carry the data. The cable is also shielded.