Dial-Up Modem Microphone Adapter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

loki88

Beta member
Sorry for the join just to ask a question, but here it is. :eek:

I want to build an adapter. What i'm envisioning is a microphone that attaches/sits very close to the speaker of a phone (like a payphone) and will take that analog signal, turn it into a digital phone signal, so that I can plug the other end(rj11) into the modem on my laptop.

Then dial out to a dialup isp (like juno's free dialup service) using the payphone(or whatever phone is handy), and connect through the modem.

I have a [small](3"x4") phone that I adapted to battery power already. I have plenty of soldering experience, and am taking my second year of electrical engineering, so I should be able to manage the hardware details.

Here's a crude flowchart for the dialup tone..
[Payphone Speaker]-->open air-->[Mic Input]-->[Portable phone]-->[RJ11 Output]-->[Laptop Modem Input]

I just need to know if this is even possible.. and how to go about getting things working on the software side.

If this isn't possible using the setup I have in mind, can you think of another way it would be?

I really hope someone can help me get this running, and i'd love to do a tutorial as I go. So thanks for the help! :happy:

Hope to hear from you..

you mean to say, you'll be utilizing payphone's dial-tone to connect to your ISP using your laptop Modem?
if this is what I understood, then, "Not Possible" dial tone is not a medium to connect to Internet. but wires and the ability to dial-in to ISP's dial-in servers.

In theory, it MIGHT be possible to do... you would need both a Mic & a speaker (tip & ring), otherwise you wouldn't establish a connection.... If you hooked that up to the phone, and dialed out from the pay phone, and had a way for your modem to establish the connection without dialing out.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom