Counter Strike 1.6 And Day Of Defeat FPS Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

T0t

In Runtime
i've been having problems with framerate with day of defeat and counter-strike 1.6. basically i drop down to about 30 fps when there's a lot of people, gunfire, grenades, new-ish maps, etc. now given my specs i should be running the game a lot better, people tell me i should be maxing the game out no problem. i never mess with any video card settings such as aa, af, etc. but i'll even post some screenshots of my video card settings to see if that will help. i usually run the game at 1280x1024 but it doesn't matter what resolution i change the game to (i've tried 1024x768 and 800x600) the fps problems seem to persist. i also haven't done any command line tweaks except for (cl_show fps 1, to display my fps). my lcd monitor runs at 60hz by default so i haven't changed the refresh rate either.

System Specs:
Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
Abit KV8 Pro Via-K8T800 MotherBoard
ATI Radeon 9800 PRO 128mb Video Card
1.5gb of Kingston PC3200 RAM
Maxtor 160 GB 7200 RPM 8MB S-ATA Hard Drive

Video Card Settings Screenshots:
untitled1232210jw.jpg

untitled1copy0su.jpg

unfortunately i don't have the money to upgrade anything right now, but it's nice to know what to look for when i do, thanks man.

will setting the sliders to performance make the game look even worse? cs 1.6 and dod aren't exactly the best looking games. i should be maxing the game out, right? i know i don't have the newest equipment but the game is built on a 10 yr old engine..

quick question, would setting the "color quality" in the dod/cs video settings from 16 bit to 32 bit change anything? my monitor is running at 32 bits (most monitors run like this at default, i think).

T0t, it's easy to get bad FPS on valve and mod games, especially custom maps.

I play with a E6850@3ghz and 8800GTS now most of the time i can play CSS at 180fps, but if theres 8 or 10 players on my screen and its a custom map, i drop to 20 to 30fps pretty easily.

really? i didn't know that...

how did you manage to get up to 180 fps? mine maxes out at 70, doesn't go farther than that.

no i understand that part i don't think i'll get anywhere near the performance he does. but i think i remember something about there being some sort of command so that the fps wasn't capped at 70.

The fps isnt being capped, its just that your graphics card isnt very powerful.

vsync is what caps fps, which would limit it to the refresh rate of the screen.

yours is 60hz, so if you had vsync on then you would see a max of 60fps.

But im sure you have it turned off....to get higher fps you simply need a stronger system.

9800pro vs 8800gts:
Video Card Comparison - GPUReview.com

here's what i was thinking of:

fps_max 101

i found it through google but don't remember how to put it in or anything, do i just do it through the command prompt?

Ok, you need to enable your console. Usually you can get it by going to Options -> Multiplayer -> And there should be something about a Console in there. By default it is this button "~" or "`" above your left tab key.

After you enable it, press the button and then a screen will come up. Just type in what you found.

You want to cap your fps at about 130 though.

fps_max 130

Thats what I do for CS:S... And if your fps is just too low, get a config. Configs get rid of all the things that are not needed and raise your fps quite a bit. I used to play cs:s on intergrated graphics and a single core celeron.... with a config. Around 40 fps for me, :).

Never again...

edit: Oh your not talking about source. Well, you might still be able to do this in 1.6, but seriosuly, you shouldn't be having low fps on those games :/ Check for spyware and stuff. I mean, I played source on much worse then what your playing 1.6 on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom