Comcast Modems

D-Rocks

In Runtime
Hello,

I would like to purchase my own cable modem so I can stop paying the monthly fee from Comcast but I need help picking one out. I would like to purchase the fastest modem. Comcast recommends that I get the "Motorola Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem". What would you recommend?

surfboards seem to be fine, Tho I know there was another forum I was on, where they where whipping the firmware from it, tossing some Linux on, So ya can get faster data transfers and keep the ISP from easily seeing packets. As make them go into a hissy fit when they can't update it. XD

Hello,

I would like to purchase my own cable modem so I can stop paying the monthly fee from Comcast but I need help picking one out. I would like to purchase the fastest modem. Comcast recommends that I get the "Motorola Motorola SURFboard SB6121 DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem". What would you recommend?

That's what I use and I'm at 50mbps most of the time.

Hello,

It doesn't really matter much if you think about it. Your connection speed will be bounded by the speed at which you are subscribed to. Like your car, it's capable of going much faster than 65MPH but the cops are forcing you to go at 65MPH. If you exceed that, they will ticket you... that would be like throttling down to xMbs on the network.

With that said, if you can afford it, get the more expensive model. It would say something like 4 channels, 8 channels... the more the better. And I would rather get one with wireless built-in too.

What do you guys think of the modems with the built in routers? Are they any good? Would it be better to have your router separate from your modem?

Back
Top Bottom