Chrome Extension: Password Login

s0l0m0n

Baseband Member
So guys (and gals), I've been looking for a specific extension to utilize Google Chrome at work on a shared computer.

Purpose:
I want to design/create/code a Google Chrome (browser) extension that will force any user, under any circumstance, to input a user-pre-specified password in order to utilize anything on the browser after opening Google Chrome from a hard or soft restart of your host OS.
I suppose this work work similarly to any operating system that requires a username and password, however this would add as an extra line of defense for those sneaky enough to try and dive into your browser history, facebook page, etc.

Necessities:
  • must be able to support multiple users
  • must close all browser windows if the password has been entered incorrectly after X attempts (where X is the number specified by user for invalid attempts)
  • the pre-specified password MUST be encrypted somewhere outside the google extension
  • must not be accessable unless triggered by a fresh primary window opened by the user
  • password entered must be hidden
  • must not be allowed to be uninstalled or removed without a specific master key that is sent to a master gmail account (or other email) address
  • must not be re-activated upon a new browser window/tab being opened
  • must be re-enabled when all browser windows are closed
  • must black-out (or darken) all background activity (only in the browser) until the password has been attempted successfully
  • should not transmit any information to the internet

I suppose the necessities could just be variables, and I have not dedicated enough time or thought to really think this through. This idea is just a rough draft, and I would love to have some help creating this extension.

The hope is that by reaching out to this community, I will find the necessary participants required to complete this project and be able to utilize it in an office/home setting.

Thanks in advance!

-Solomon

At a glance, I would sat that this is probably too technically onerous to get off the ground. The fact is that as soon as you need to secure something, what you mean is that you need to encrypt it and if you're encrypting your browser data then you need to modify the browser itself so that it still has access to said data.

A similar effect can be achieved using encrypted home directories and having multiple real users at the OS level.

I don't understand how you would require changing core functionality? It would run just like any other extension, except through it's own directories on your hdd.

I don't understand how you would require changing core functionality? It would run just like any other extension, except through it's own directories on your hdd.

OK well I haven't looked at the Chrome code but as I see it you would have to change at least:
The code that runs on startup
The code that runs on shutdown
The code that runs when an extension is removed

Yeah what stops someone from un-installing, disabling or deleting the extension.
I have a feeling what you are asking would need to be written into the application and not used as an add-on

If I was going to role something like this out I would look at it from a different view point, and rather than write a browser add-on that could be bypassed, I would force the user to enter their AD username and password to allow them to load the application, then have a policy to automatically delete cache or to force the cache files/folder to be encrypted.
This is something that could be done in 5-10 minutes, and does not require any add-on/extension to be written and added to the browser

But that is just how I would look at doing it in a corporate environment

People have already created similar things to what you are looking for
eg.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/simple-startup-password/ojoalkffommhmdmbohjphohoejjmgepc

You seem to be missing the point. There is no way an extension can do it. The end point is there are to many ways around it, let alone the fact is you want to change core functions of the browser instead of extending them. Hence the term extension.

Back
Top Bottom