Car VIN # check

Status
Not open for further replies.

aliasaid

Fully Optimized
I couldn't find a place online to do this for free. I want to know if a vehicle is salvaged/damaged, etc. A lot of the sites claim to offer the service for free but when you try it you have to pay. Anyone know of a good site?

You can test it out with this VIN: JTJHF10U510206522

Its a 2001 lexus RX300 and its a salvaged vehicle.

Vehicle history reports give you much less information than you think. Mostly, it's just change of ownership, and when it was taken in for service. Also, a lot of the time it won't even say what the car was taken in for. I bought one before for like $25 and was VERY disappointed. I will never buy a vehicle history report again. Your best bet is to just get all the information (truth) out of the current owner before you buy.

yea, but i think that's the point of going to a service like that because how do you know the current owner is telling you the truth?

the only site i know is carfax since i always see their commercials, and apparently there are 31 records associated with that vin. but you would need to cough up $35 to view them :/

Carfax. Simple as that. Free only gets you what you paid for. NOTHING.

My mechanic would give it a once over for free, but he knows I would bring it to him if I needed work on it, too. There's trust built into our relationship which is essential for doing good business.

You have no trust with the seller, however. Check CarFax and verify with a mechanic if you have any doubts, or if you know one who will do so for little or nothing.

thx for the help guys, i guess i was mislead in thinking they do that stuff for free.

You can get the information for free if you want to write to the DVLA and wait a week or so, and in the UK it will give you the cars full history as the VIN and Licence plate are permanently linked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom