Car computer

RussianBear

Beta member
im building a new pc possibly a shuttle pc or maybe a lap top, how can i connect it to the car? do i need some kind of converter?

E

entity512

I doubt on the shuttle part, but if you got a laptop you get cigerette lighters or in some new fords (ford focus's etc) they have special power outlets, contact ford for cables!

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
There are power inverters that you could get. They convert the car's 12 volt DC to 110v AC. I'm trying to figure out a more effeicient way to do this, however, seeing as computers RUN off DC.

As for laptops, you don't really need a converter, or I didn't for an old one. If it's 12 volt DC, you should be able to plug it right into a cigaret lighter or off the battery. Don't try this without researching it though cause I don't know how different newer laptops are to my old 486 ;P

RussianBear

Beta member
my sister just bought a 2005 chevy eqwuonox i cannt spell fo shit, well anyhow id like to build her a pc she can have with her, i hate laptops caz they are damn slow my budget is $1000 id like a a small form factor pc like a fragbox or somethin. i need a solution fast caz shes about to buy this laptop with 128 ram and 20 gig hd from bestbuy. fuckin crazy.

E

entity512

your best getting a laptop.....unless she wants too hunk around a keyboard and mouse......a tft monitor rigged up to her car.....lol

Mental Liberator

Fully Optimized
o_o thats kina cool.... doncha tink?? unless shes the driver...

russianBear's sister - *driving* OH DAMN I NEED TO KILL THE ZOMBIE
Cop - *cop pulls her over* aww ur not black, but still BUSTED FOR SPEEDING
russianbear's sister - SHUT UP IM ABOUT TO BEAT DOOM 3 NOW GO SCURRY ALONG NOW!