Can I configure both cable and wireless to broadcast internet distribution on the same computer?

Godis

Beta member
Hi Forum,

I am using one host desktop computer to convert Static IP Address to dynamic in order to distribute internet connection to over 20 computers. This is what I did:-

1. I assigned one static IP to one cable adapter in the computer and shared it so that other computers can connect through it to the internet
  2. I assigned the Dynamic IP 192.168.0.1 to the second cable adapter in the computer and connected the cable to a switch. All the computers that use cables are able to connect to the internet. Now, we are using this computer as our networking server on the LAN.
I can realize that when any laptop that uses Wireless adapters in the office is put on, it is automatically connected to any of the remaining Static IPs our ISP has given us. In order to stop that I have the intention of fixing two Wireless adapters to the same server on the LAN, assign one Static IP to it and assign 192.168.0.1 to the other one so that those laptops can access the wireless connections without IP conflict. I want to know whether it would work. Or, is there a different way to do it?

I will be very happy to get assistance

Regards,

Godis

It sounds like you're using a computer instead of a router to forward ip traffic and it's not providing NAT, so all your computers are getting dhcp addresses from your provider's gateway.

You need a router. Specifically, you need NAT to translate a private network to a single public ip address. You can do it with a computer but it's so much easier and better to just get a router.

Back
Top Bottom