Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD

Status
Not open for further replies.

koldapu

Fully Optimized
Which of these do you think we'll see more - Blu-Ray or HD-DVD? Both have benfits and disadvantages.

Hi,
I like Blu-Ray based on it's higher basic capacity. Theres good discussion at http://www.dvddemystified.com/dvdfaq.html#3.13 .

Note also the backstory on the whole blue laser development wars won by Shuji Nakamura - a genuine David/Goliath thing. Shuji beat all the big players (Toshiba, Sony, H-P, NEC, and a host of others) to develop the blue LED at sustainable power levels.

Check out http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=000A1926-0EB5-1C75-9B81809EC588EF21&pageNumber=1&catID=4 for more.
-stavio (aka Jeff).

I vote HD-DVD just beacause Microsoft and a bunch of others are working on its development.

I would say that Blu-Ray is going to seceed. For that fact that it has been in development for about a year already. It may not have the backing of MS but it has HP, Dell, and IBM. Sony has come up with an 8-layer disc that will hold 200GB of info. Sorry to say but if they come out with that and the triple drive, (burn Blu-Ray, burn DVD, burn CD) Then HD-DVD is going to have some tough compotition.

SANYO, NEC, Toshiba and Memory-tech are forming the group HD-DVD starting summer 2005. They are going against a well organized consortium consisting of Dell, HP, Hitachi, LG, Matsushita, Mitsubishi, Pioneer, Philips, Samsung, Sharp, Sony, TDK and Thomson.
As mentionned both technologies have pros and cons. Among the pros for HD-DVD is back compatibility for older media and lesser technology changes on assembly and construction lines for media.
However, storage will be bigger with blue ray (right now, 50 G vs 30) Note that blue ray medium require a protective coating which considerably increases the weight and complexity of building the mediums. I guess we'll know in a few years....

I think Blu-Ray will come out on top. First of all, Sony has the benefit of producing disks for movies, computers, and inevitably Playstation 3, which will use Blu-ray. All the companies supporting blu-ray make it well spread out across all of the spectrums of disk usage. It's very unlikely that people would use two different types of storage for different media, so the company that can prove itself in every medium first will probably win out over the other. I see blu-ray doing this a lot quicker then HD-DVD

Well 20th Centery Fox just joined up with the Blu-Ray Founders so they can have input on the security issues and such. So there is a big boost to Blu-Ray cause they have one of the biggest DVD producers on their side. I have to say that Blu-Ray will go further than HD-DVD.

I have done barely any research on these two, but it seems that Blue-Ray has storage advantage, and some other stuff like support from big companies, like Sony for the PS3. Well, HD-DVD. What's that supposed to be? Compressed DVD format or something? I hope not. lol. Well, I need to know all the advantaged and disadvantages.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom