Blu-ray Playback

Pezzy

In Runtime
Hi all.

I'm not sure if this is a Windows 8 issue, or, the programs I have that will play Blu-rays.

I have more than one program that (previously) plays Blu-rays: CyberLink PowerDVD 13, and ArcSoft TotalMedia Theatre 6.

I've done some investigating and browsing, and it seems others have the same problem as me; but, I don't think I've come across a definitive solution.

I have Windows 8. I did a custom system build back about three weeks ago. Many of the videos that I watch (movies/ films) are streaming, mp4's, mkv's (matroska), etc. I popped in a Blu-ray disc the other day, launched TotalMedia Theatre, and then tried PowerDVD 13, and.....it won't play; error.

Now I've already heard that Windows 8 doesn't automatically support the playback of DVD's anymore (let alone Blu-rays); not like Windows Media Center used to be. There's an upgrade to Windows 8 Pro, though (which I don't have).

Anyway, here's a screen capture of the error I get from TotalMedia Theatre when attempting Blu-ray playback:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/TMT6-BRD-HDCP-Error_zpse81db868.jpg

Now: that part in the message about "not compatible with HDCP"? That's a bunch of crap. I have an Nvidia-based graphics card, the EVGA GTX 770, and it is HDCP compatible.

Here's a screen capture shot from my Nvidia Control Panel:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll217/PezzyDude/Nvidia-CP-HDCP-Capable_zps3284450e.jpg

Anybody have a definitive solution to this? Is this just a Windows 8 issue? Like they're moving away from conventional disc-type media to other media formats? Or is the issue something else? I 'd find it a little difficult to believe that neither PowerDVD or TotalMedia Theatre can play Blu-rays all of the sudden (I was able to do it during Windows 8 beta preview and Windows 7).

I'd appreciate any help or "fix" to this issue.
Pez

You already stated it. Windows 8 does not support the playback of media without Media Center. It is not included with Windows 8. So you will have to purchase the $10 add on to get this support.

It could work. I have heard of people using VLC for some playback that isnt supported without having to purchase Media Center. But with that addon you get all codecs needed.

Hey guys; thanks for all the replies.

KSoD: I stated it, eh? ;) I wasn't going to actually use Windows Media Center for playback of the Blu-rays; I use my other software programs for that (the ones I mentioned: PowerDVD & TotalMedia).

And I thought that these programs already had the codecs that will enable the Blu-ray discs to be read. Or am I wrong here?

Joe C: And yes: I had heard about VLC being able to play Blu-rays, too. I tried it and it did not work. I even found an article on it with a few tweaks you have to do before attempting Blu-ray playback; still didn't work.

So.....if I get the add-on feature of the Pro Pack add-on for Win 8 (which includes Media Center, correct?), then I should be able to get Blu-ray playback?
Pez

Hi Yevrag35.

I downloaded both files.

I installed CCCP first, and then when I tried to install the K-Lite pack, that program sensed that CCCP was already installed, and asked me if I wanted to uninstall it (for potential conflicts?).

I tried clicking on "No" to uninstall it, but then the installer would not go forward. So I clicked "Yes" to uninstall, installed it, but.....VLC player would still not play a Blu-ray.

I uninstalled K-Lite and then just installed CCCP, but VLC player would still not play a Blu-ray.

I know there's no guarantees in life, but if I were to go for the Win 8 Pro Upgrade (which comes with the Media Center), is there and kind of a guarantee at all that my Blu-rays would play then??

Thanks for any more info.
Pez

I think I read something somewhere that in order to view blu-ray that you might need to have an hdcp monitor with your video card. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong please
...and the blu-ray disk is in a blu-ray optical drive...right?

You need an HDCP capable monitor, and the DVI or HDMI link must also support HDCP.

While the GPU IS HDCP compliant, if your monitor isn't, then the HDCP link can't be created thus making it nearly impossible to play a blu-ray disk.

Joe C & c0rr0sive:

My monitor is also HDCP compliant; it's a Samsung XL2370HD (and you already know my graphics card - the GTX 770 - is HDCP compliant). I connect them via an HDMI cable.

As a matter of fact, I've played Blu-rays before using much (not all) of the same equipment.

The Blu-ray player in my system, the monitor, and the HDMI cable are the same. I used to have the GTX 470, but now have the 770. So, the graphics card is different, but better.

When I played Blu-ray discs before using much of the same hardware, I was running Windows 7 Ultimate. I now have Windows 8; "regular" Windows 8, not Pro.

I'm even using the same software programs to play the Blu-ray discs: either TotlaMedia Theatre 6 or PowerDVD 13.

According to the other poster on this thread - Yevrag35 - he plays Blu-rays on Windows 8 (no media center upgrade) with some codec packs via the VLC media player.

So....I just wanna know, if I upgrade and add Windows 8 Pro: will I be able to play Blu-ray discs? Everything I've tried so far hasn't worked.

Any other ideas?
Pez

Back
Top Bottom