Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
FLAC

using an Asus Xonar D2X with Audio Technica ATH-AD900's

True style. That's what it's all about :D

WAV for me.

I have the space for my music to be in WAV, Mp MP3 player supports WAV, so why not ? My soundcard and speakers benefit from it, too.

I guess FLAC would be fine, but that's more effort to convert etc.

FLAC isn't hard to convert, I rip CD's to FLAC all the time :)

It's also easier to find FLAC downloads than WAV downloads, and since they're (losslessly) compressed, they download faster. I have been converting to MP3 320 for my PDA (The Core Pocket Media Player supports FLAC but I prefer GSPlayer, which doesn't support FLAC :( ). I decided to switch because after listening to some music my friend gave me, I hated how bad the lower quality (64-128kbps) files were, almost unusable they sounded so bad. 128kbps is good enough for casual listening but I could hear noticeable distortion of cymbals/other really high frequency sounds even on cheap headphones. I figured if I'm going to be re-ripping my collection, might as well do it right :)

128kbps is good enough for casual listening but I could hear noticeable distortion of cymbals/other really high frequency sounds even on cheap headphones. I figured if I'm going to be re-ripping my collection, might as well do it right :)

I can't even listen to any thing lower that 320 now or i hear every little pop and crackle that there is.

My buddy was all happpier than pig crap that he was 1 of the first to get the new Metallica and i laughed my *** off at him.

I had the true rip and he had the trans coded 1 and couldn't even tell the difference since he is so used to the garbage from limewire and crap :p

wave doesn't use any compression, and is lossless.

However, FLAC uses a lossless compression. It has smaller file sizes than wav, but is still 100% of the quality.

I know that.

But still wave is the original recording and is whats mixed down in studios and made into the final album.

I know that.

But still wave is the original recording and is whats mixed down in studios and made into the final album.
When you responded to zedman's question "Any advantages to Uncompressed WAV over FLAC?" you answered "wave is the highest quality form of audio"

I just thought that was ambiguous, and could be interpreted to mean "it has higher quality than FLAC" - which isn't true, since FLAC is still mathematically a 100% accurate representation of the audio.

And so I would answer zedman's question with this:
It doesn't have a technical advantage over FLAC. The only issue with FLAC might be incompatibility with certain players where the manufacturer/programmer didn't include the FLAC codec.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom