ATI R600, its huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is getting out of hand hand, everything else is getting smaller while graphic cards are getiing huge. If it keeps goin like this then eventually were gonna have a seperate tower dedicated just to graphics!

I wouldn't mind a separate box for GPU if you can pick and mix components with them. Otherwise it is getting stupid.

Some day, a GPU will be upgradeable like a computer is.

With the amount of RAM and speeds on the new Video cards, it would be cool to be able to add more memory to it, or replace the CPU on it for higher GPU clock rates.

Nubius said:
ya see that link where they are talking about "How much bigger will these get? Once they get outside of the case it's all over"

I've been thinking for a long freakin time now (since SLI came out actually) that it's just a matter of time before we have a completely seperate box with some sort of new highspeed cable connecting the two. Primary box being your HD's, CPU, motherboard, RAM, while the 2nd box will be all for graphics.

I could possibly foresee them even making it so you could swap out GPU's add more GDDR, etc..etc...wouldn't that be something else? But then the prices just for the graphics card will be ridiculous.

We're talking MAJOR funds required just to play a stupid game at max settings..........ridiculous.

me too. Especially about the graphics memory slots.

1GB is way overkill, yet I know exactly why they're doing it. The 8800GTX has 768 MB of RAM (or something around there), and a lot of computer ignorant people think that '> the memory' the '> the performance'. So when they stroll in a store and see a G80 with 768MB of RAM and a R600 with 1GB of RAM. They are going to reach for the bigger one.

And since nvidia is using this strange bus width of 3xx-bit and ATI is going with a bigger 512-bit it wouldn't be possible or practical to match the RAM size.

AFAIK, nVidia was supposed to have the numbers that the R600 has, but they sacrificed some RAM and clock speed for higher pixel shaders, TPU's, etc. Though, don't quote me on that.

Snake-Eyes said:
AFAIK, nVidia was supposed to have the numbers that the R600 has, but they sacrificed some RAM and clock speed for higher pixel shaders, TPU's, etc. Though, don't quote me on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom