ATI R600, its huge!

Status
Not open for further replies.

j12

Daemon Poster
http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/11/shots-surface-of-atis-r600-and-boy-is-she-a-big-one/
We already know that this little monster hums along at quite a clip, but how does it look? Monstrous, of course. Those of you hoping to get off easy with the case size and power supply requirements are going to have to think again, ATI's R600 tops out at a record-busting 12.4-inches in length. ATI will have two SKUs of the R600 at launch, the XTX which features 1GB of DDR4 RAM and the R600XT with a mere 512MB of GDDR3 -- weak sauce, we know. The XTX version comes in retail and OEM versions and it's the OEM one (pictured) that really gets outlandish, with the 12.4-inch length and 270W of power consumption. The retail XTX cuts it down to 9.5-inches and 240W, while the weaker XT matches those specs. A little bit down the road, ATI will follow these up with the R600XL which will be cheaper and hopefully less demanding. Just for a frame of reference: NVIDIA's 8800 GTX was deemed outlandish with its longest-ever 10.4-inch length and beefy 165W power requirement. How much bigger are these things going to get? Oh, that's right, once they get outside our PCs there just won't be any stopping 'em.

R600 blows lol. Its like 36 inches long and looks like a candy cane.

It's rumored to only eek by the G80, which for 4 months of difference is rather disappointing. It should be atleast 1/4 better, but I guess not.

Stick with nvidia, until AMD comes out with a 4x4 (true 4x4....) and finally starts to put their quality into their "ati" chips.

BennyV04988 said:
looks like a candy cane.

[Thinks to himself] Candy cane, wtf?

I'm hoping the R600 will do more than merely "eek by" the G80. Only time will tell, i suppose.

ya see that link where they are talking about "How much bigger will these get? Once they get outside of the case it's all over"

I've been thinking for a long freakin time now (since SLI came out actually) that it's just a matter of time before we have a completely seperate box with some sort of new highspeed cable connecting the two. Primary box being your HD's, CPU, motherboard, RAM, while the 2nd box will be all for graphics.

I could possibly foresee them even making it so you could swap out GPU's add more GDDR, etc..etc...wouldn't that be something else? But then the prices just for the graphics card will be ridiculous.

We're talking MAJOR funds required just to play a stupid game at max settings..........ridiculous.

Just keep in mind that is only the OEM. Anybody remember Nvidia's 7900GX2? That thing was a monster and used 2 6-pin PCI-E connector (one for each PCB/GPU)

image006.jpg

The original GX2 was going to be pretty much 2 7900GTXs until power usage was too much and they made them like 2 7900 GTs to save power (7950GX2).

On wikipedia, I read that ATI/AMD is going to release sample X2800 cards to the press on Feb. 14 (Valentine's day). So we will see soon enough. I am going to be getting paid about $600-$1000 sometime in March and it looks like the R600 is on my list. If somehow the 8800GTX is better then I would just get that, but GDDR4 running on 512-bit sounds like a monster to me.

I'm also interested in the "Uber" edition of the R600 which as far as I know is going to be a self-contained watercooled card. They already have "Uber" X1950, which is pretty much 2 overclocked X1950 XTXs.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814102076
http://theinq.com/default.aspx?article=37543

The watercooler I'm guessing is going to be similar to the Sapphire "Toxic" ATI cards; but that's just a guess.

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q3/sapphire-toxic/index.x?pg=1

Nubius said:
ya see that link where they are talking about "How much bigger will these get? Once they get outside of the case it's all over"

I've been thinking for a long freakin time now (since SLI came out actually) that it's just a matter of time before we have a completely seperate box with some sort of new highspeed cable connecting the two. Primary box being your HD's, CPU, motherboard, RAM, while the 2nd box will be all for graphics.

I could possibly foresee them even making it so you could swap out GPU's add more GDDR, etc..etc...wouldn't that be something else? But then the prices just for the graphics card will be ridiculous.

We're talking MAJOR funds required just to play a stupid game at max settings..........ridiculous.

Actually its a good idea, really think about it for a minute. It'd be like the old voodoo cards again, all you'd need is an interface/2d card that would only have to be replaced when you need to upgrade the interface. If you want to upgrade the 3d then no prob just buy a faster external 3d card. You won't need a 600watt psu anymore, or a single 12cm fan for JusT the video card. We could pick up the pci slots that are blocked by double+ width cards. Plus as an added bonus we might be able to pickup a halfway decent 2d card again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom