Are they the same?

kemperhills1

Solid State Member
I have a desktop that I want to upgrade the CPU. I want a Pentium D 960 but they are a bit expensive, at least the one's I can find. I have found some 950's but I have a question.

Pentium D 950 Xeon are a lot cheaper that the Pentium D 950 that is not labeled Xeon. Are the CPU's different or the same. Stupid question, to some perhaps, but I don't know the answer and can only ask those that does.

I want to upgrade the CPU because the 950 and 960 are the only CPU's that will fit the board I have that has virtualization. Thanks. .

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Pentium_D/Intel-Pentium D 960 HH80553PG1044M (BX80553960).html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Penti...H80553PG0964M (BX80553950 - BX80553950T).html

Product Information
Power and speed are necessary in today's world of demanding personal computing and the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor gets the job done for you. This dual core processor has two processor cores, and both of the cores run at 3.4GHz (operating frequency), ensuring the power and speed users need. The integrated L2 cache is 2MB. The FSB of the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor is 800MHz, and the multimedia instruction types include MMX, SSE2, EM64T, SSE, and SSE3. There is a cooling device to keep the processor running efficiently. It includes a fan and a heatsink. The manufacturing tech is 65NM. The microarchitecture of this processor is NetBurst, and the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor uses a Presler processor core. There are two threads, and the data width is 64 bit. The caches used include eight-way set associative and set associative data types of caches. The Intel Extended Memory 64 Technology makes it possible for a desktop processor platform to get to big amounts of memory, thanks to Intel 32-bit architecture. With the right 64-bit supporting software and hardware, platforms based on this technology have the potential for using extended physical and virtual memory. Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processors have an execute disable bit function. This helps to enhance the security of the socket when it goes along with a supporting operating system. The processor will have the potential to prevent certain types of malicious buffer overflow attacks. The processor will disable code execution when a malicious worm tries to put the code into the buffer and prevents worm propagation and damage. The Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor utilizes Intel Virtualization Technology (Intel VT). This allows a single hardware platform to work as multiple virtual platforms. It limits downtime, maintains worker productivity, and improves overall manageability in a small business environment, by isolating the different computing activities and putting them into separate partitions. At home, users can create a unique environment for each user, so that family members can keep things like personal files separate while sharing the same platform. In a single physical package, there are two complete processor cores in the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor. Both of these run at the same frequency and they share the same interface with the memory and chipset, but to ensure parallel computing, each one has its own cache and registers. There is 4MB total, with each core having 2MB. This makes it possible for both of the processor cores to access the large amounts of the data that the user accesses most often. One of the reasons that the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor achieves faster processor speeds is thanks to improved thermal performance and reduced power consumption. It will move fast, without being vulnerable to heat-induced failures. Run multiple applications simultaneously, and the cores will continue to perform. It is like having two CPU processor cores in one. Easily power a home computer and similar peripherals without delay, or interruption, with the Intel Pentium D 950 3.4GHz Dual-Core Processor.
Product Identifiers
BrandIntel
MPNHH80553PG0964M
UPC0735858189019
eBay Product ID (ePID)74116757
Product Key Features
Processor TypePentium D
Socket TypeLGA 775/Socket T
Additional Product Features
Tdp130w
Product TypeProcessor
Multi-CORE TechnologyDual-Core
Processor ModelPentium D 950
64-Bit ComputingYes
Bus SpeedFsb SPEED-800MHz
Platform CompatibilityPC
Architecture FeaturesEnhanced SpeedStep technology, streaming SIMD extensions 3, Execute Disable Bit capability, Intel Virtualization Technology, Intel 64 Technology
L2 Cache4MB
Processor Quantity1
Manufacturing Process65 NM
Compatible Slots1X Processor-LGA 775/Socket T Socket
Cooling Component(s) IncludedNone/Processor only
Clock Speed3.4GHz

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-I...069866&hash=item41be62359b:g:63QAAOSw4A5YqlhK

About 40 bucks is a good price for that 960. Hope this steers you to a happy conclusion.

Xeon processors are meant for servers, but people use them to run desktops too.

Which one exactly is the Xeon processor you are looking at? If we know the model we can give you a more accurate comparison.

Back
Top Bottom