Another "Buying a new car thread"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kia and Hyundai started becoming great (topping a lot of other companies) in 2006, but avoid anything older than 2002.

2003-2005 Kia/Hyundai's are like Honda in the 80's.

But, remember, checking Autotrader/Craigslist is much better than any stealership.

^ I don't know man, it's hard to trust a private dealer. Plus, if he goes through with the deal at least he gets some kind of warranty.

Well, usually I get a pal who's a local mechanic check it out, and see what's up, then also get a Carfax report too.

Well, usually I get a pal who's a local mechanic check it out, and see what's up, then also get a Carfax report too.

Agreed, whenever I look at cars I take my mechanic buddy with me. With a good inspection and a carfax then you should be legit. IMO dealerships charge waaaaaay too much for used cars. You really get screwed. Certified pre-owned is different, but with used cars most of the time you are better off going private, especially if you can fix things yourself.

I DID decide to buy it today. Carfax was clean, and I noticed it was in LA during Hurricane Katrina, so I took it to 2 different mechanics, and they said it was very clean, but not in a "suspicious way." Full price is $4179 financed, not sure what it'll be paid off early, just depends on how long I make payments. Warranty covers everything from dead battery to full in shop drive-train replacement, with Rental car reimbursement. I'm a little disappointed I bought it, but with the price, and the warranty, I just could not pass it up. My girlfriend loves it, which is who we actually bought it for. I'm selling my car, and truck, and buying a new one after we pay this off.

as my dad always says when it comes to used cars " There is a reason it's on that lot."

But I guess for $4200 it's that not that bad since you seem to of got lucky with the warranty.

Does seem kinda overpriced though. My girlfriend's dad recently bought her a used car. 2001 something(can't remember name) and it has about the same cosmetic problems your's does..and it was like $1800. I know 2-3 years is a lot on a cars value but stil.. I guess location would have something to do wtih it too probably :\ Uhm never mind I know what it probably is. The financing. I think he paid in full but since you're doing financing that always adds a crap ton onto the cost.

After all is said n done I wouldn't worry about it and call it a good purchase though. Does it feel nice buying a car? I can't wait to make some sort of purchase like that lol..even though I'm sure it's really stressful.

as my dad always says when it comes to used cars " There is a reason it's on that lot."

But I guess for $4200 it's that not that bad since you seem to of got lucky with the warranty.

Does seem kinda overpriced though. My girlfriend's dad recently bought her a used car. 2001 something(can't remember name) and it has about the same cosmetic problems your's does..and it was like $1800. I know 2-3 years is a lot on a cars value but stil.. I guess location would have something to do wtih it too probably :\ Uhm never mind I know what it probably is. The financing. I think he paid in full but since you're doing financing that always adds a crap ton onto the cost.

After all is said n done I wouldn't worry about it and call it a good purchase though. Does it feel nice buying a car? I can't wait to make some sort of purchase like that lol..even though I'm sure it's really stressful.

This isn't the first car I bought, my first car that I bought "off the lot" was a '95 Grand Am (Hence the name). It's the first car I haven't paid full cash for, so it's a little dreadful, as I know I will be paying on it for at least 4 months, and anything can happen within those 4 months.

Use KBB to check the value out..

2003 Kia Optima - Select A Trim - Kelley Blue Book

Adjust that according to the car you're buying, and it'll give you a suggested value.

Suggested retail was $45xx with KBB and $43xx with NADA. Take away the $500 for the warranty, and IIRC $400-$600 for the financing. Around $3400 for just the car.

car values vary greatly depending on make model and year. Knowing an '01 something cost $1800 means absolutely nothing.

^Pretty much, yeah.

I think you made a good choice, nothing wrong with Kia in my experience, good dependable cars as far as I know. Not the greatest when they first hit the market but there's a reason Hyundai and Kia offer 5 and 10 year standard warranties now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom