Adobe reader in XP - solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acerinpa

Fully Optimized
OK - brief scenario.

IN my office- I have older software that is specific to my industry- unfortunately- it will not run on anything newer than XP. However, being as XP and adobe reader are not working well together anymore- not supported I guess it is called. So, now I cant download and look at stuff I need to on the internet- keep getting the 103:103 Adobe PDF document window.

Solutions/suggestions welcomed

- may have to have two hard drives in one PC- one with XP to run the specific software and one with Win7 to work on internet, etc.

- can you dual bot both XP and Win7 on one PC?

Thanks in advance

Adobe - Adobe Reader download - All versions

From what I see there is still Adobe Reader for XP.

Windows
Intel® 1.3GHz or faster processor
Microsoft® Windows® XP Home, Professional, or Tablet PC Edition with Service Pack 3 (32 bit) or Service Pack 2 (64 bit); Windows Server® 2003 (with Service Pack 2 for 64 bit; Windows Server® 2008 (32 bit and 64 bit); Windows Server 2008 R2 (32 bit and 64 bit); Windows Vista® Home Basic, Home Premium, Business, Ultimate, or Enterprise with Service Pack 2 (32 bit and 64 bit); Microsoft Windows 7 or Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 Starter, Home Premium, Professional, Ultimate, or Enterprise (32 bit and 64 bit)
256MB of RAM (512MB recommended)
260MB of available hard-disk space
1024x576 screen resolution
Internet Explorer 7, 8 or 9, Firefox 3.6, 4.0 or 6.0, Chrome 9.0
Video hardware acceleration (optional)
Find more system requirements

All taken directly from Adobe's page. So I dont understand how it cant be working when it is still fully supported. Have you tried removing it and downloading it again for reinstall?

could try Sumatra PDF or Foxit Reader. I tried both and both works great. not bloated like adobe reader too.

Hmmm... yes, I have deleted and re-installed twice. Adobe seems to grab the file I am trying to open, the bar appears in a grey screen and when it gets to 100% - it just sits there for a few minutes then I get a window that says," There is a problem with Adobe Acrobat reader if it is running , please exit and try again {103:103}.

FatClown- while Foxit reader will work in other scenarios ( I always use Firefox when I can) - I must log in to a website (Navinet) using windows Internet Explorer ( will not work in Firefox) - so cant use Foxit.

Well fixed the one computer by clicking on windows explorer- reset defaults- this put explorer to all defaults- back to explorer 7. Then it automatically downloaded explorer 8. I went thru the questions about add-ons, browsers, etc. - then re downloaded adobe reader. Then went to Navinet ( the site I am having problems with ) - clicked to open a PDF - a bar came up that I was missing an active X ?? do I want to use this - I clicked yes. And "wha- La" the pdf opened just fine. When to another file to open and the same bar about active x came up - this time I clicked to "use always" or something like that - and "presto" it worked again. So obviously - I was missing something to do with Active X controls. SO, one PC is fixed !! I have 2 networked- so go to the other PC- and try the same fix- but nope - cant get adobe to download - it opens a window which says " adobe reader installer , installation encountered errors, failed to initialize". I also keep getting a security bar on this PC when ever I go to Adobe website or Navinet. Additonal ideas?

OK noticed next to the address bar there is a gold lock. so something is occurring in the security.

second edit- The gold lock by the address bar says "security report" when I hover over it - I right click and it gives me a few options - but when I left click an option internet explorer closes. So, this may be a form of malware/virus/spyware- several goggle searches shows that there is software that goes by the name "xp security...." I bet that somehow it got on this pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom