A Network Engineer

Status
Not open for further replies.
jaeusm said:
I searched Dice.com for network engineering/administration jobs in my area and found a couple postings that actually listed the pay rate (the vast majority don't list anything for pay).

Network Senior Architect - Pay: $70 - $96k+

Network Engineer - Pay: $80 - $110k

Network Administrator (for Kroger) - Pay: $80 - $110k

Network Engineer - Pay: $65k

Citrix Network Administrator - Pay: $40/hr ~ roughly $80k/yr

It depends on what state and your experience. The average here in my area is about 40k to 60k, the average network engineer don't make that much either. I've only been doing this for 3 years, so it's a decent paid. Like I said the salary has to match the cost of living in your area, expenses, experience, who you know.

Re: networking

pjam76 said:
IF you're saying Network Engineers will be phased out then you might as well not go into the computer field then because most of your programmers, developers and engineers are either being outsourced or H1B visa holders.

There will be jobs just not like they used to be and you will have to be very good at what you do.

It won't be like the dot com era when anybody who went to a 6 month IT course could get an IT job.

It's never going to be like that again. Not in IT.

No, it isn't, and it shouldn't.

On the subject of outsourcing, Network Engineering is the least likely of all things to be outsourced. Why? Because you have to be physically present to troubleshoot layer-2 network problems. It's impossible for a guy in India to troubleshoot a cable plant, or a faulty wire. If the Network goes down, he isn't going to be able to bring it back up, because he can't physically or logically access the devices he needs to in order to correct the issues. This extends to all areas of "networking" including System Administration, but is particularly true of "nuts and bolts" network engineers that manage complex three layer networks from top to bottom.

Software engineering is the most likely to be outsourced, because it requires very little in terms of human interaction (yes, this is an issue) and is a deliverable - meaning you don't have to be present to provide it.

In other words ... I'm not worried.

Like I said...

I've agreed with you.... But certain networking jobs will be outsourced or replaced by lower H1B visa people...

But the fact remains, Software Engineer is being changed by outsourcing.. .People who deny it can't face reality.

This is a very interesting topic. I was thinking about getting into networking. In all honesty, does anyone really think its a dying field? Would it be the wrong couse to take? If so, what should i take if I am interested in all kinds of aspects of computer related things?

It is by no means a dying field. But the competition to get into the field is tremedous. Because of this I would be afraid with just a 2 year degree, even though that is really all you need. Go for the 4 year BS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom