AMD 64 Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
#2: They where supposed to be released monday, but I haven't seen anything on them.

Anyone know of any guides to OCing a 3200 far? Like what's the best heatsink and fan? Along with Antec silver5 how far can it be pushed? Etc.

dont know of any guides, but make sure ur agp/pci bus is locked in your bios. and move up your HHT slowely, a max of 5mhz at a time. the best 2 heatsinks at the moment are the thermalright xp120 or the zalman 7700Cu. depending if its a winchester or newcastle core they max out at around 2.8 and 2.7ish respectively. but i like mine abit safer and about 2.4 to 2.6 should be fine, but it varies from chip to chip, uve just gotta get lucky.

Well I want a CPU for major gaming and 2.7/2.8 sounds great, would that outperform a FX-55?

Aslong as it runs all games at an amazing level I'll be pleased.

FX-55 is one of the most if not the most powerful processors on the market. u wont be disappointed.

Though I'm tempted by the FX-55 it nearly costs to the amout of the PC I've built (excluding monitor) and has been out for some time and will probably date.

Would an OC'd 3200+ winchester provide great gaming performance with 1gig RAM, EVGA 6800GT on an DFI nF4 SLI-DR Lan Party board?

This would pawn the FX-55. In every way imaginable ..
I skimmed through that quickly, and I think I caught that it uses an Opteron. The FX-55 will still be faster than even the most powerful Opteron in certain enviroments. ;)

I think a 2.6GHz AMD would match a 4000+, you have to remember the 4000+ uses a larger L2 cache so even if the clock speed was a couple megahertz faster, the cache would compensate up to a certain point.

The Venice cores are coming out on Monday as mentioned above, they do use the same 90nm process of the Winchester but the strained silicon allows AMD to use cores with higher clock speeds now. I have noticed that the Venice maxes out around 2.8GHz, but that could just be because of the chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom