A Mighty Server

at the moment I'm running about 5TB. 3 for movies 1 for show and 1 for random storage and stuff. I plan on in the future to have all 3TB. I have an Old H440 Case I wanna use for this build. I've just been in the processes of do I wanna use a LP Xeon or go with an i5. Because I myself am trying to learn more about Virtualization.
The great thing about Hyper-V is the shared resources. I ran VMWare for the longest time and it's pretty demanding due to needing actual dedicated everything. Again, all depends on what you want to do. A Kaby Lake i5 would run game servers incredibly well and it doesn't take much power to run a NAS. I suggest before buying any hardware you give yourself a gameplan otherwise you might wind up buying more than you actually need.

I have a QNap 451+ for storage. I like it well enough. A fully loaded NUC should be enough for a Minecraft server and a Plex server, though you may be cutting it close. An i7 NUC w/ 32GB's of RAM might suit you better

The great thing about Hyper-V is the shared resources. I ran VMWare for the longest time and it's pretty demanding due to needing actual dedicated everything. Again, all depends on what you want to do. A Kaby Lake i5 would run game servers incredibly well and it doesn't take much power to run a NAS. I suggest before buying any hardware you give yourself a gameplan otherwise you might wind up buying more than you actually need.

Proxmox does the same (sort of) with Linux containers :thumbsup: A small ssh server uses like 20Mb of RAM. It's great

The Gameplan is to Run Plex , with minecraft , maybe a couple CSGO servers since I have a friend that for the last year or two we tried to get some running and never had enough time really.

I have a QNap 451+ for storage. I like it well enough. A fully loaded NUC should be enough for a Minecraft server and a Plex server, though you may be cutting it close. An i7 NUC w/ 32GB's of RAM might suit you better
Depending on the amount of users the i7 might not cut it, plus those high end NUCs aren't cheap.

Proxmox does the same (sort of) with Linux containers :thumbsup: A small ssh server uses like 20Mb of RAM. It's great
Yea I'm aware of it, but since I have an active environment I can't actively experiment and raise downtime. Hyper-V is powerful and really simple to use for beginners which is why I brought it up. I'll be trying out Proxmox whenever I get some 2Us up for rent as I'll have extra hardware to toy with.

The Gameplan is to Run Plex , with minecraft , maybe a couple CSGO servers since I have a friend that for the last year or two we tried to get some running and never had enough time really.
If you're not going to host Plex for a bunch of users and have lower quality content an i5 would run all this fine.

I Run my plex for like 10 friends but most at a time is like 3 people. Hyper-V is the built in Virtualization in 10 Right? I have some Experience with Prox and debian. But I feel like trying to mount the nas to plex VM might get a little difficult for me.

Depending on how you set it up it's pretty easy. I have my NAS set as a network location rather than trying to mount any other way. Plex is not in a VM for me but it will be soon enough. I'm usually an ESXi guy but I like the simplicity and functionality of Hyper-V really.

Back
Top Bottom