Is it better to run 1 2gb of DDR2 ram or 2 1gb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bey0nd

Solid State Member
Is it better to run 1 2gb of DDR2 ram or 2 1gb ?

Also i am curious
is the OCZ PC2-6400 2GB DDR2
( PC2-6400
240 Pin DIMM
800MHz
DDR2 SDRAM )

compatible with the Gigabyte Technology NVIDIA GeForce 6100 Socket AM2 AMD ATX Motherboard (GA-M61P-S3) ??

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. When the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, however, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be liable to fall prey to this bottleneck effect.

The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands.

Dual-channel architecture - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The way that is written is ridiculously hard to understand.
but if i understand it correctly the 2 1gb sticks = the way to go
so the processor can access both at the same time instead of just
one considering the limitations of speed ?

Well......depends.

You don't want a bottleneck, and if there wasn't one created I would go with the 2GB of RAM. The reason for that though is the future when you want to upgrade and 1GB sticks = what 512 and 256 are now.....which is basically useless.

The thing is though, I don't know what you want to do. You will probably get better performance right now out of a 2 x 1GB setup.

FFS man, way to confuse the **** out of a guy.

2x1gb is better because it will run in dual channel, which gives a significant performance boost over single channel mode.

And yes that memory should be compatible

hahahaha thank you gurusan <3 finally a straight forward answer.
It seems as if everyone needs to put illustrious idiocies around their actual points in attempt to seem as if they're of some intellectual caliber /ridiculous much? YES ! So thank thank thank you.
I just ordered horray !

lay off gurusan, dhgunit's post was valid and made a good point
stop being a tw@t

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom