Is it better to run 1 2gb of DDR2 ram or 2 1gb ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gurusan

Golden Master
The dude just cut and pasted a wikipedia article...and didn't even answer the guy's question.

I gave him a straight answer right away, that's hardly being a "tw@t", now is it.

aetherh4cker

Corrupt Techie
The performance difference between single channel and dual channel DDR2-800 memory using an up-to-date Core 2 Duo system is little to nil, depending on the benchmark - most tests show differences, but they are really small. For games and enthusiast PCs, we recommend sticking to high-performance dual channel RAM, because the memory is one of those components that you want to perform best for a smooth experience. For regular applications, though, it doesn't really matter much whether you run single or dual channel.

dhgunit

Daemon Poster
The dude just cut and pasted a wikipedia article...and didn't even answer the guy's question.

I gave him a straight answer right away, that's hardly being a "tw@t", now is it.
Yeah, you gave him a straight answer, but not necessarily the right one.

What happens in a year when you need 4 GB for most games? He will get 2 more 1 GB sticks. And then when more than that is required he will have 4 sticks of RAM to throw in the trash.

I would buy the 2GBs as you will see little performance increase right now from the 2 x 1GB configuration.

Then when you need to upgrade in the future, you won't be full when you go to 4 GB.

****, I just did a fresh install of Vista and I have IE and Steam running and Task Manager has me using almost 2 GB of RAM right now.

If you don't think 4 GB is gonna be the standard soon for high-end machines then you are crazy.

Also, this is the High Performance forum, not the General PC forums. I thought most people in here would understand what I'm saying.

gurusan

Golden Master
mmmm hmm...because games are going to require more than 4gb of ram before his system is totally obsolete.

Status
Not open for further replies.