Please help! Galaxy S4 Soft-Bricked

battleof3

Baseband Member
As the title indicates, I've soft-bricked my phone. I was trying to install a custom ROM (GPE Customized, 4.4.4) onto my SPH-L720, and accidentally formatted the system when I had meant to do a factory reset. I have TWRP installed, and can boot into it, as well as boot to the "Samsung Galaxy S4" logo, but cannot mount my phone to any computer, whether through normal boot or TWRP. So I was wondering what my options are. Could I get an adapter for a micro SD card, and flash something from there? Is there another way via USB? Just in need of some more options. And in all honesty, I think I am soon able to get a phone upgrade, but not completely sure.

PS - I apologize if this is not the correct forum. Didn't know where else to put it.

My bad, been a long day.

I tried searching XDA Developers but am too fuzzy to find what I am looking for.

Try searching there for a flashable recovery of stock for use with TWRP and put it on your SD card.

No worries, mayne. Been there. And that's my problem. The phone won't mount through any means to any other device, and I do not have an external SD card, though I could get one in a couple days. Just hoping for a quicker fix, so my girlfriend doesn't yell at me. She's in Texas, and is rather clingy as some women are.

Can you use adb? use adb push to load a new image onto it and flash it with TWRP

Can you use adb? use adb push to load a new image onto it and flash it with TWRP

+1 to this.

Install the ADB drivers for your device. Then, with your ROM's zip file in the same folder as the ADB executable, run:

Code:
adb push your_rom_file.zip /sdcard/

Then you can flash from TWRP.

Either that, or get a MicroUSB -> USB adapter and you can copy it from your computer to the SD card and then put the SD card back in your phone and flash from TWRP that way.

Although... you said you formatted /system? As long as you didn't format the internal storage... it should still have the ROM installer on your /sdcard/ or /ext_sdcard/ partition. I wipe /system, /data, /cache, and dalvik cache every time I flash a new ROM on every Android device I've had... and never had this issue. I think you wiped your Internal storage from TWRP as well as your /system partition.

I'm telling you, that's my problem. I cannot mount it via USB. I originally formatted data, system, and cache/dalvik, and I meant to do a factory reset, but accidentally wiped the internal. I can't push anything on the device using ADB, I tried last night.

So is my only option a microSD? I could probably pick one up today if so. And thanks for the help, mates. Always felt at home on these forums. :)

I'm telling you, that's my problem. I cannot mount it via USB. I originally formatted data, system, and cache/dalvik, and I meant to do a factory reset, but accidentally wiped the internal. I can't push anything on the device using ADB, I tried last night.

So is my only option a microSD? I could probably pick one up today if so. And thanks for the help, mates. Always felt at home on these forums. :)

Are you sure you can't push via ADB? Does Device Manager detect an unknown device or an ADB device missing drivers or anything like that? Because you have to install the ADB drivers separately from the normal phone's drivers. Try a different port and/or a different USB cable as well (try USB 2.0 ports if possible over 3.0 ports).

If Device Manager doesn't detect anything while in TWRP, then your best bet would be the microSD route.

PS, I've been where you are before lol. I did it on my Nexus 7 though, where there isn't a microSD card slot. Now I'm much more careful about triple checking which partitions I check off in TWRP lol.

I got the phone recognized on another computer (my laptop uses Linux, and was having problems with the drivers.) Just got to see if the ADB will work now. Thanks for the help. I'll get back to you with results.

Back
Top Bottom