Americana.... Is it still there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lone Wolf

Daemon Poster
I just read in our local paper (Chicago Sun Times) that Miami Bowling Lanes, one of the largest in the state will be closing by August 15. Built in 1955, it houses 80 bowling lanes, 13 pool tables, 2 small restaurants and banquet facility where couples have gotten married over the years. The ower says that it costing too much to stay in business and he's decided to close up shop.

Considering that it's been in his family for so long (a business his grandfather founded), i feel sorry for this guy. His customers say they appreciate the low key atmosphere and the low prices... $2.75/game (weekday) and $4/game (weekend).

Now I gotta tell ya, I suck a*s in bowling and I don't even go that much anymore...but this is sort of the stuff bothers me when i think about the changes in our great country. Even with the almost extinct drive-in movie theatres that sort of bummed me out.

This is the flavor of 'America' that I have grown to love ever since our family immigrated here. Call me nostalgic... but i miss this kind of stuff. Yeah i know there's other bowling alleys but it suks a*s to see these ma & pa shops closing up due to Evil Corporate America trying to take over the world.

What do y'all miss about the old days?

I miss the cars. They were all built to last and they were all powerful. I've got a 36 year old pontiac and it drives better than most new cars do.
I am also disapointed in the disappearance of the drive in theatre. That has got to be the most fun thing! :D
But honestly, I'm glad America is getting away from yesteryear. :) Gives us things to look foreward to.

mac_mogul said:
I miss the cars. They were all built to last and they were all powerful. I've got a 36 year old pontiac and it drives better than most new cars do.
I am also disapointed in the disappearance of the drive in theatre. That has got to be the most fun thing! :D
But honestly, I'm glad America is getting away from yesteryear. :) Gives us things to look foreward to.

I guess there's always a the good w/ the bad.

And I tend to agree about the old cars.

I understand ya Lone Wolf. It does make me sad too to see these 'Ma and Pop' operations fail because of the corporate companies.

Here in Canada everything is going to be privatized, hydro company, hospitals, it's just sad. :(

We're a race of consumers.

Ken Masters said:
I understand ya Lone Wolf. It does make me sad too to see these 'Ma and Pop' operations fail ....We're a race of consumers.

You pretty much nailed that right on the head. We are indeed a bunch of hungry consumers - no doubt.

And I certainly didn't mean to neglect our Canadian counterparts. If any of you canucks feel the same about your country - i'd be interested to hear that too.

But honestly, I'm glad America is getting away from yesteryear. Gives us things to look foreward to.

Exactly. My parents are stuck in the farm life of the '50s so there is a constant culture clash between me and them when it comes to my interests and such. I hate that the values of that time are dissapearing (you didn't have to worry about letting your children run, even at night), but as for everything else, we need progress.

Stuff like this was destined to happen in a capitalist economy like ours. If it doesn't make corporate america rich, it's not worth having. Corporations get everything from one place and they buy in extreme bulk, so the small businesses don't have nearly enough purchasing power to compete in selection and pricing. There are exceptions, of course (computers is probably the biggest one), but that's pretty negligable.
I'm not old enough to the nostalgia factor involved here, but corporatism, capitalism, and privatization are all destroying our beloved america.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom