Intermittent Internet Connection Issue

D-Rocks

In Runtime
My step mother is having an issue with her her computer losing internet connection intermittently. She has CenturyLink DSL and is wired right to the modem/router. I did a continuous ping and every couple of minutes her computer will start losing packets and the network icon down in the system tray will show a red X and then goes back to normal. They had CenturyLink out and they stated that nothing was wrong with there service. Here are the troubleshoot steps I have taken....

1. I took HER computer to my house and tested it with my Comcast internet.

Results: No Issues- I did a ping test and didn't have any lost packets.

2. I took MY computer to her house and didn't have any lost packets.

Results: No Issues- I did a ping test and didn't have any lost packets.

Malware scan didn't find anything on her computer. I even reset her TCP/IP stack.

Anybody have any ideas why it's happening only with her computer is using her internet service?

Wired or wireless?

Tried updating drivers for the NIC?

Tried resetting the router/modem? Or updating it's firmware?

Does the same thing happen on wireless? since you brought the computer to your house and tested without any issues (i am assuming you used a new Ethernet cable with your router), i would think that it is not a driver issue for the NIC.

If it was on CenturyLink's link side i would expect the same behavior from your laptop. Did you use the same cable and port on the router/modem?

If the same thing does not happen on wireless try a new port on the router/modem and a new cable to the computer. If wireless is working correctly this would help to strengthen the assertion that the issue is not with the incoming line from Century Link.

Might seem obvious but I've seen it many times before, check the caps on the cable and that it is snuggly fitting into the port on the router and computer. Patch cables fail and clips and caps break.

Back
Top Bottom