Install Linux Without CD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osiris

Golden Master
Install Linux Without CD

Universal Netboot Installer (UNetbootin) is a portable tool for Windows and Linux that can download and install various Linux distributions to a system partition or USB drive without needing to burn the distribution first. It supports dual-boot installs or single installs that replace the master boot record (MBR) completely.
The process itself was designed with ease of use in mind. The user begins by picking a distribution and version from the top pull down menu, roughly 20 Linux Distributions are available currently ranging from **** Small Linux to Open Suse and Ubuntu.
A homepage link and a short description of the selected Linux operating system is displayed below the selection. Inexperienced users will have troubles selecting a distribution and need to investigate them by going to their websites.
It's great for users who know which Linux Distribution they want or who want to try different distributions in short time.

The last step of this process is the selection of a hard drive or USB device to install the Linux operating system to.
UNetbootin comes with a few additional features. Instead of picking a distribution from top the user can select an ISO image from his hard drive and install that. There is even a custom option to load kernels / Initrd.
The software program works on all Windows versions from Windows 2000 to Windows Vista and on Linux.

Yep that's a good program. I used it not long ago, but I still prefer to do it the manual way which is usually just downloading the ISO, extracting it to the flash drive. copying a couple files out of a folder and into the root of your flash drive and then installing syslinux.

It's also useful if unetbootin doesn't have the distro you want.

Thanks for posting this. I was having difficulty installing openSUSE on a box of mine, and this worked flawlessly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom