Face Book and Job Hunting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Harper

"I FEEL SO GOOD I FEEL SO NUMB, YEAH!!!"
Shortly i will be starting to look for another job else where. Nothing personal against my current employer, it's just that I just don't see a long future for me there and I would like to start doing some thing more with my life.

Recently I go sucked into Facebook by my friends. One thing that does not help matter any is when you have one of my flicker happy friends posting and tagging photo's of me at some of my not so better moments. Either me acting the fool, or me being completely **** faced maggotted after the night in the pub. Currently i have untagged all those photos. However my friend being the jerk that he is will not remove them.

I am just wondering if it will be wise idea whether or not i should deactivate my Facebook account while I start looking for new work?

Should i deactivate my Facebook account? Yes / No.
Any one wish to share any experiences with Facebook and their professional life?

Make all of your account settings private, where only Friends (note, NOT "Friends of Friends") can see anything of yours.

There are always stories about some employers bypassing privacy measures like this, but you would probably be fine.

Especially if you're not tagged in any of the pictures...

What kind of a job will you be going after and would they even bother looking at Facebook? If you think they'll look then it's really a choice of how much you want the job.

I avoid having my picture taken. In this day and age no good can usually come of it :D

I'm on Facebook but I only seem to go there when I get a friend request, then I leave until the next request. The problem with Facebook is most of my friends are "real" people I know. "Real" people ask for stuff that I usually have to pay for or they want something I usually charge for. I like online forum friends the best, you guys are usually free of charge :D

Always watch what you post KC. Untagging the photos is one step, the new would be to make your account private. There are few employers out there that will go as far as searching online for your content, but they are out there. In fact I would say the vast majority of LARGE employers that are hiring a person that will have a semi-important job WILL google your name, and if facebook is the first result guarantee they are looking at your profile and photos.

You admit you got sucked in, my suggestion would be since you are second guessing you being on facebook in the first place you should deactivate your account until you find a new job (just to make sure).

I just maxed out my privacy settings right now so only friends can see me.

What kind of a job will you be going after and would they even bother looking at Facebook? If you think they'll look then it's really a choice of how much you want the job.

You will be amazed. Family friend of mine does all the time with any one he is about to employ.

I know of a handfull of employers that would do it. Sure if this is a pizza delivery job, or something low level you have nothing to worry about. But you you are applying for a job with some weight they WILL look at anything they can get their hands on. Esp. if you are going to be responsible for that company making money.

Sure sure work and personal life should be separate - I totally agree. But this is what employers are doing now adays to find the best quality of candidate to fill their positions. People lie, embellish and exaggerate (same as embelish i know) their resume. They dress up and act like the perfect candidate during interviews and lie to questions which would make them look more like a good fit for the job. You know where they usually won't lie, facebook or myspace. Lame i know, but it is true.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom