CS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arbiter

In Runtime
Are Computer Science and Computer Programming the same exact thing? Also, would it be a good career choice? I know many courses primarily teach the Java language but what if you would like to use something else?

No they aren't the exact same thing.

It all depends on the school you are going to and what the focus and emphasis is. At my college Computer Science was more math intensive, it focused more on mathematically equations used in things like circuit boards and electronics.

Computer information systems was more program intensive - but even then it wasn't the sole thing you did. You'd learn about server administration and what not.

Again, with the java question it all depends on the school - it isn't the same across the board. You need to consult your schools brochure or advisor.

Are Computer Science and Computer Programming the same exact thing?
No. Computer science is a broad field of study. Computer programming is an activity. Computer science is, by definition, the science of computing.

Also, would it be a good career choice?
Yes.

I know many courses primarily teach the Java language but what if you would like to use something else?
The language used in CS courses is not that important. The concepts are important, not language specifics. Universities tend to pick languages that allow professors to more easily express the concepts without the language getting in the way. Some like to use languages that are popular in industry, like Java, and some don't, like Scheme.

Computer science is a broad field of analytical nature. Like the title of the field states, it is a hard science. Computer programming is used within the field of computer science, though the language you learn will vary depending on the professor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom