31 year old PC gamer, thinkn about a Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Galaxian

Solid State Member
i've been out of the console loop for years now
no i'm not giving up my pc high end gaming. but i recently started thinking about getting a large screen tv for bedroom and a Wii so that me and my g/f (who lives with me) can have something we should enjoy together.

she's 39, likes the old...old skool mario and galaxian type games but can not and will not take time to get used to most of todays gamepads. the anolog sticks just throws her out of whack bigtime.

she just doesnt enjoy them. she has shown some interest in how the Wii controls are, she wants to play skiball on it i know...anyway, she constantly mentions of me being on the computer so much when i'm home..blah,blah, thought something like this would be something we may enjoy together.

first i want to know, how is 2 player gaming on it? is it like split screen?
problem there is i hate split screens, hard for me to see well and concentrate. so thats why i'm wanting a big screen, 46" or larger for no more than $1000

do you guys think a middle aged non-gamer girl would actually get into it enough to play often? i mean i know i would to extents, depends on games.

is mario galaxy as fun as mario 64? never played sunshine, looked stupid.

what kind of games should i consider? i know she saw ski-ball for it, she might not like the new mario ones. any flying games for it yet?

what about playing it on a $700 type front projector? anyone with those? the screen size to cost ratio makes it appealing and i dont know the cons.
thanks for advice.

it all depends on what game you are playing with 2UP

games like mario are played the same way like on nintendo, alternating
wii sports are alternating (for the most part)

sonic head to head is split screen, co-op w/ tails is one screen
racing games are usually split screen

it basically all depends what game it is.
if you have a large tv, it should be fine regardless of split screen or not.
36" and under i hate split

the Wii is great for all ages because it's so interactive, so you should have a lot of fun, especially playin' Wii sports.
i havn't played galaxy yet, but my buddy has it and says it's decent.

the projector could be good, but i would think it would need a fairly dark room and large, clean surface to shine on

thanks for info. if i got projection i would get a screen. but dunno how long they last. they say up to 2000 hours, thats not much i woudlnt think, bedroom has 2 windows and i'm sure some curtains would make it viewable.dunno what lumens would be good either. hard to find how it looks out of specs. and no where to view one in action.

i really want rear projection crt, those are like $900 for a 60". but no one here has them anymore, its all LCD and very pricey. $1200 + for a 50", i dont need it thin anyway.

Super Mario is really really fun if you at all liked Mario 64.

The virtual console is extremely appealing if you're an old school gamer. Plenty of good games on there. Wiiware is coming out soon and will have a bunch of indie games. Simple and fun usually.

Wii sports and Wii play are fun and Wii Fit is coming out soon. There are a decent amount of good games out now but I think in terms of variety next year the Wii will get a lot of good games.

Still if you're spending that much on a TV I would get a Wii. Its worth the price.

Since you have a PC, you could "preview" motion controls by setting up the Wii Remote on your PC with Bluetooth. Who knows, you might like playing PC games with motion sensing so much, you won't want a Wii.

Why would you want to do that ? ive Tryed it before it isnt that good..

Disagree..
Wii's are amazing and are invtented for "the fatter generation"
Their good fun for the hour you might last, but then their left there to rot for the next year, until you get bored.
Are fun tho.

Disagree..
Wii's are amazing and are invtented for "the fatter generation"
Their good fun for the hour you might last, but then their left there to rot for the next year, until you get bored.
Are fun tho.

This is nonsense. They are not created for the fatter generation. What is that anyways? The WHOLE WORLD is getting fatter. So does that mean it is made for the world? That statement holds no ground.

It is made for everyone. I am 30 and love it. I play it constantly. My nephew is 8 and he plays it constantly. My 1 year old is even starting to play it a bit. So it is not made for no fatter generation. If anything it will help these people slim down a bit with things like WiiFit as the PS3 and 360 only allow for you to sit on your rear and play. At least the Wii has some gameplay to it. Other than sitting on your rear looking at a screen. At least you can get interactive with the Wii.

These types of statements have no fact behind them. I am by no means over-weight yet i play my Wii. Same with my family. So how do we fall into your fatter generation? If anything the 360 and PS3 are created for the fatter generation as they promote their lazyness. Get serious...

The Wii is great. Wii Sports, Wii Play, Mario Party 8 are all great games and fun as a 2 palyer game. The wife and myself play them constantly. Most of the time it is switch player. Play 1 plays then Player 2 plays. There are not many split screen games that i have come across for hte Wii yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom