Work or more school? Advice wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

TechNTN

Beta member
I have just completed a 2 year college degree in computer service. I already have a good paying job but it is not in I.T. and it is very boring and I would have a limited chance of advancement. I have had some job opportunities that would require a substantial pay cut(help desk jobs). My current employer pays for 75% of any education expenses. My question is this. Should I stay at the secure job I have and enroll in a 4 year college to get a comp. science degree or would I be better off getting a job and gaining experience. Another degree would take me 3 years attending at night part time. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

TechNTN said:
I have just completed a 2 year college degree in computer service. I already have a good paying job but it is not in I.T. and it is very boring and I would have a limited chance of advancement.
enroll in a 4 year college to get a comp. science degree

I just quoted the most important parts of your question.

In short, go for the four year degree. One thing that stands out the most to me is this part:

and it is very boring and I would have a limited chance of advancement.

In this age, I would suggest finishing a BS in Comp Sci, but as grueling as it might sound, get a Masters degree. Again, get a Masters degree.

I'm currently a Comp Eng student and I've been to numerous job fairs and talked to a dozen recruiters around my area... what is the one thing that they ALL have in common? They WANT someone with a Masters. No matter what the industry... I'm almost positive you'd rather be designing something high-tech and interesting rather than working at a Help Desk.

I spoke to people that were from the defense industry (Lockheed Martin), avionics/aerospace (like Boeing), computer hardware industry (Intel, nVidia)... in our conversation, they at least threw in the question or topic to see if I was going to get a masters.

That might be something to think about in the long run, but I view a BS as just a tool to open the door. You need to go a little bit farther to have unimaginably higher chance of career/job advancement.

Hope my long blurb helps.

PS - for example, I'm on the Boeing website (I've applied for a few positions with them), and there are some jobs that read this under the "Qualifications" section:

Candidate must have a BS, preferably in Computer Science, or Engineering. Advanced degrees preferred (MS or PhD).

What does that translate to?

1) I will hire a BS for this position
2) I will hire a MS for this position

Go with #2.

well depends on what feild of computing you want to get into, i mean without high qualification i think it'll be hard to get a major job in IBM xD

you wanna build, design etc?

my teacher said the schools head admin has no qualifications in ICT at all xD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom