Windows XP/Vista/7 - Installtion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Endriuska

Beta member
I have couple questions regarding Windows XP/Vista/7 Installations, expert opinion would be appreciated.

I work in IT field but I'm completely familiar with windows installations(legal way to do it). I'm moving forward and

most likely I will have to do a lot of instalations in the future so just want to get things right first time.

Since Microsoft stopped releasing updates for Windows XP, i can install just anything on the pc... I know there is a

way to save the registrations key(need to take copies of system\wpa.) then wipe everything and reinstall the same

version of windows and copy over those wpa files. Is there any other way? because sometimes i can't find both wpa

files..

Also is there a difference what windows cd I will use? let's say the client lost the CD and I have WinXp Pro and he

had the same in his machine, after reinstall will the same cd-key will work?(his key on the box) ? How to make sure

that I will be able to register windows and make them legal?

For Windows Vista, I have heard that there is only one CD with all Vista versions in it? It does not matter what it says

on the disk, when you install the windows and you enter CD key it will automatically recognize the apporpiate

version of vista to install? Is that true?

Also, what about the proper reinstall for Vista, is it straightforward, for example, you take clients cd, wipe everything

and load and enter the CD key from the box? What if client does not have the CD and I have one from the other PC?

will that work?

I'm not familiar with Windows 7 installations at all, but I assume it's the same process as for windows vista, but what

about the cd-key thing? just reinstall and enter it again?

Does anyone know what makes microsoft think that my cdkey is valid and for other pc its invalid?

I have heard that if you upgrade hardware for a pc and then reinstall windows - the cdkey might not be valid anymore,

any thoughts on that? maybe you what can be upgraded without loosing the registration(after reinstalling)?

Any other tips and thoughts would be appreaciated for any version of windows.

Thanks

Ray

You can make an image of Windows that has all the files and programs necessary. It will be easier than trying to use the Registry backup.

No you cant just use any old CD to install.

http://www.techist.com/forums/f9/differences-between-oem-retail-171393/#post1349335

That explains it all.

Yes Vista installs are the same but again the above link still applies. If the install is from something like a Dell PC then using a Retail disk will not work.

You can NOT use a Cd Key from any other machines. You MUST use the one that came with it.

Ever since Vista machines have come with a Recovery Partition which will allow a reset back to factory settings. Just start up that and restore it to defaults. No reinstall necessary. Each manufacturer has a different method to startup this recovery process. Check each manufacturers website for this information.

It is the same for Win7 as it was for Vista.

As for the activation, there is a hardware profile that is taken. That hardware profile must match for the Serial to activate. If the hardware profiles do not match, it wont activate. Simple as that.

The only way upgrading hardware and reinstalling Windows wouldnt be valid is if you change the mother board. Again all covered by the topic above. There is nothing you can do with that type of upgrade. As it is considered a new machine and therefor must have a new copy of Windows bought for it.

I would seriously suggest you get into Vista and Win7 before you start working on anyones machines. A lot has changes since XP. While the process maybe more automated, things are still not the same. Not having a single Win7 install in the year since the release of Win7 doesnt make me want to hire you as my IT guy. I would want to see my IT guy have at least 1 install of Windows 7 under his belt and feel confident about its process and know what to do if something went wrong.

Thanks Mak213, very helpfull.

So is DELL OEM different than HP OEM ? If have my gateway OEM, will I be able to use it for let's say DELL reinstall?

If the client has retail installed, can I use my retail CD to reinstall his PC using his CDKEY ?

Is there a way to determine is the OEM or Retail version installed on the PC?

Yes Vista installs are the same but again the above link still applies. > does this applies to Windows 7 ? do they have everything in one CD?

Thanks!

Yes each manufacturer's OEM disk is completely different. They are tailored to that specific system. They are not made to be used on another system. They contain the specific drivers for that system.

No you cant use your Retail disk and his OEM Serial. It doesnt work that way. OEM disk with OEM serial, Retail disk with Retail serial. That is the only way it can be done.

Yes it can be determined. Just read the sticker on the back of the machine, if present it will say that it is an OEM copy. If not then you will have to ask the person if it was pre-installed or if they installed it.

Yes Windows 7 has everything on 1 disk as well. For Vista/Win7 the serial used determines what is installed. It is not like XP where you had to have that specific disk.

Yes each manufacturer's OEM disk is completely different. They are tailored to that specific system. They are not made to be used on another system. They contain the specific drivers for that system.
Ok so drivers are different, but can i use DELL's OEM to reinstall GATEWAYS OEM ? Let's say client has DELL machine with OEM installed, can i use my GATEWAY OEM CD to reinstall windows for my client, using client CDKEY but GATEWAYS OEM CD?

Thanks

Well technically you could, but the major problem is that if you do then the drivers wont be there. Which means you will be stuck with a machine that doesnt have any proper drivers and you cant get them cause there is no internet access on that machine due to the missing drivers. So unless you really want to be playing this tag game where you have to have multiple machines around so you can use 1 to download the drivers, then transfer then via Thumb Drive or CD to the other machine it isnt going to work using a different company's CD.

I can tell you from experience that is not the way you want to be doing things. You can try to take the drivers with you but if the model is off even by 1 character you will have the wrong set of drivers and be in the situation stated above. It is far easier to just use the CD from that manufacturer. Cause if you dont you will have to use the serial on the back of the machine and it will not activate over the internet. So you will have to call Microsoft and explain to them why you need it activated. Since OEM serials can only be activated once and was done so when the OS was previously installed it will not activate again.

I can tell you from experience that is not the way you want to be doing things. You can try to take the drivers with you but if the model is off even by 1 character you will have the wrong set of drivers and be in the situation stated above. It is far easier to just use the CD from that manufacturer.

I have done it numerous times... It's not the best way to go, but sometimes you have to take this way..

Cause if you dont you will have to use the serial on the back of the machine and it will not activate over the internet. So you will have to call Microsoft and explain to them why you need it activated. Since OEM serials can only be activated once and was done so when the OS was previously installed it will not activate again.

So if I will use manufacturer CD, then I will not need to activate it?

If I will use other manufacturers CD then I will have to activate it?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom