Windows XP Not Booting. Tried many fixes already! Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks, Carnage. I have Memtest running on the other laptop as we speak. This may be a noob question, but, when I opened the laptop up, I noticed there were no removable memory sticks. Does this mean it is all on-board memory? If so, and there are errors, what does this mean? A new motherboard? Also, if there are any errors, does this mean there is an non-fixable problem? Thank you very much! I greatly appreciate all of your help so far.

Hello again Carnage, and everyone else who would like to give any advice. Advice I would greatly appreciate. Well, Memtest has been running for a about 5 and a half hours now. It says 42 errors right now, and seems to be growing.

Right now it says:

Time: 5:26:34 Iterations: 6 Test_Sel: std Pass: 7 Errors: 42

TST = 8 Pass = 1 Failing Address = 0003a55d584 933.8mb Good = 00800000

Bad = 00c00000 Err-Bits = 00400000 Count = 1 CPU = 0

I hope this makes sense. I edited it a few times to try to get it right, but it didn't seem to want to cooperate. My last post shows my results approaching 6 hours of test time.

Well, since there are errors, it's definitely something with the RAM. What brand/model is the laptop? Are you sure you couldn't find any RAM modules?

I just opened up the laptop again and I couldn't find any modules. There seems to be an empty dimm spot, under one of the flaps I screwed off, next to where the wireless card is. Is on-board ram that common? The laptop is an HP 6530b. I just looked up the user guide online, and it said there are two dimm slots that should be user accessible. Obviously I am missing something. I will have to take it apart again when I get home. I have to go out to dinner with the family. Any suggestions? Thanks. Below is what the user guide said.

800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Two DIMM slots supporting dual-channel memory
DIMM sizes supported: 1024 MB, 2048 MB, and 4096 MB
Standard Memory 1024 MB (1024 MB x 1)
2048 MB (2048 MB x 1 or 1024 MB x 2)
3072 MB (2048 MB 1024 MB)
4096 MB (2048 MB x 2)
Optional Memory
Upgrades
Support for up to 8192 MB of memory with the installation of optional DDR2 SDRAM memory kits. Both
memory slots are user-accessible. Please refer to the Hardware and Software Guide for installation
procedures. Maximized dual-channel performance requires SODIMMs of the same size and speed in
both memory slots.

I just read HP could have the memory installed under the keyboard. Is this common? I don't recall seeing any laptops like that before.

Just found the hardware guide and how to remove the main memory from under the keyboard. I'll swap them out when I get home. Thanks!

I just read HP could have the memory installed under the keyboard. Is this common? I don't recall seeing any laptops like that before.

Just found the hardware guide and how to remove the main memory from under the keyboard. I'll swap them out when I get home. Thanks!

Good luck, let us know how it goes.

Well, I just received the new memory module in the mail and put it in. I am still stuck at the windows xp loading screen. Is this now a motherboard issue?

It's possible that it is. Try running the Memtest86+ again just to see if this one reports errors too. If it does, then I'd probably lean towards motherboard.

I just tried running Memtest again with the new memory chip inside. I didn't run it for 3 hours this time, only about an hour, but there were no errors. I am just going to give it back to my co-workers husband and tell him about the issue. I just wanted to thank you and everyone else for all of your help on this issue. I now it was a long thread and I was a bit of a nuisance, but you guys helped me a lot, and I learned a lot as well. Thanks again and talk with all of you guys again soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom