Windows 8.1

Welcome back, and I disagree. There are some performance enhancements for certain folk, but if you have basically a power user machine they go unnoticed. Extra SSD/TRIM support is always welcome, DX11.2 (who cares), the return of the start button that doesn't fix the problem, enhanced resource management with better RAM caching, shutdown/bootup times decreased, power management on mobile, ect ect.

It's not just simply a face lift (or drop, depending on whether you like the look or not) but I'm still pro 7 myself. I have found what is probably the dumbest thing ever with Windows 8.1 (didn't have this issue in 8). The task manager crashes. It ****ing crashes. The one thing that needs to always be a rock solid constant, and it crashes. If I wasn't so lazy I would be putting 7 back on my machine right now.

Literally the only benefit that I have seen when using Windows 8 is the boot up/shut down times are faster.

Literally the only benefit that I have seen when using Windows 8 is the boot up/shut down times are faster.

I will give Windows 8 credit for that. Beyond that though, I can't think of a single reason to upgrade unless its on a touch device. The upgrade from XP to Vista even had its merits - with many features built in that previously required third party applications, and then 7 which brought stability and made truly a solid platform. 8 is really the first version where you actually lose features/functionality compared to previous versions.

I just updated to 8/8.1 from Windows 7 a couple of days ago and I have to admit I really like it. The interface is much cleaner than 7, Explorer is vastly improved, the changes in 8.1 to the start screen and metro resolved any issues I had with them and performance is stellar. I'm going to be updating all of my other Windows 7 systems to 8.1 shortly.

The only bad thing is it makes me wish IT would hurry up and update to 8 at work, 7 seems dated in comparison.

I just updated to 8/8.1 from Windows 7 a couple of days ago and I have to admit I really like it. The interface is much cleaner than 7, Explorer is vastly improved, the changes in 8.1 to the start screen and metro resolved any issues I had with them and performance is stellar. I'm going to be updating all of my other Windows 7 systems to 8.1 shortly.

The only bad thing is it makes me wish IT would hurry up and update to 8 at work, 7 seems dated in comparison.

I agree with puddler on some degrees with his statements, but performance wise ?
Hell no, if I could trade out my windows 8 retail key to my friend in NJ for my old w7 ultimate key..
I would be uninstalling 8.1 "TONIGHT".
I agree with a few others it is geared more towards portable tablets and laptops with touch screens.
Yes ms fixed the issues I noted earlier this summer about 8..
But for those using 8 do you agree windows 8 registry system is a problem ?
Yes or no ?
I say yes, because it is unstable using some old w7 and older windows applications.

Last edited:
I agree with puddler on some degrees with his statements, but performance wise ?
Hell no, if I could trade out my windows 8 retail key to my friend in NJ for my old w7 ultimate key..
I would be uninstalling 8.1 "TONIGHT".
I agree with a few others it is geared more towards portable tablets and laptops with touch screens.
Yes ms fixed the issues I noted earlier this summer about 8..
But for those using 8 do you agree windows 8 registry system is a problem ?
Yes or no ?
I say yes, because it is unstable using some old w7 and older windows applications.
Yes, it is. Basically my whole argument why I said I did not like 8. I've used 8 and now 8.1 and I've had stability issues that people were mocking me over. It's got problems, not sure what exactly yet, but it does without a doubt.

Still no issues with either my or my fiance's laptops that have 8 on them. Other than driver issues that is, but no fault to Windows. Been running for about a year now.

haven't updated to 8.1 yet because I'm too busy with school projects to fiddle with my computer.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using TechForums

Here's an update:
I read on the interwebs that the pentium d 8xx cpu won't update to 8.1 but the 9xx series does. I bought an Inter Pentium D 920 chip and I'm going to see if it'll work in the dell box. It's only an $8. ebay investment so I'll let you know next week when it arrives

Here's an update:
I read on the interwebs that the pentium d 8xx cpu won't update to 8.1 but the 9xx series does. I bought an Inter Pentium D 920 chip and I'm going to see if it'll work in the dell box. It's only an $8. ebay investment so I'll let you know next week when it arrives

Pretty much already said that ;).

People also said they upgraded to a higher Pentium D in the thread I linked to, and they said it worked after that ;).

Apparently 8.1 x86 works, but not x64 on the 800 series Pentium D's.

If I were you, I will just downgrade my os to windows 7 Ultimate if you check the reviews on win 8!

Back
Top Bottom