Wierd Network Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

villevallo

Solid State Member
Recently, i had someone use my computer to install a game that they wanted to play with a friend on a LAN. I have NO idea what he did during the install, but now, i am totally unable to get an auto-assigned IP from my router anymore. Its a strange problem, because if i manually enter an ip the router usually addresses, it works fine, but im unable to access the internet at all, and if i set mine to recieve ip via DHCP, i get a "Limited or no connectivity" problem in the connection window. I've noticed my IP when this happens is 169.x.x.x, and that usually means theres something wrong.

I've tried ipconfig to release and renew, but when it comes to renewing, it says something along the lines of "An error occured while connection LAN 1: The operation tried to connect to something that isnt a socket". The same also happened when i tried to use ICS on windows using a switch. I don't know how to fix this problem, can anyone help?

p.s he said all he did was because he didnt know the firewall wass blocking out the game from accessing the net, he ran the home network wizard, and thats it. somehow i dont think thats all he did, but i can't figure it out

169.254.x.x is the Windows default IP for inability to find a network host. This message - An error occured while connection LAN 1: The operation tried to connect to something that isnt a socket tells us something though. The winsock files are responsible for the operating systems ability to connect through dynamic addresses.

There is not an easy fix for this error usually. One thing to try is removing and reinstalling your tcp/ip files. Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't. Try that out, maybe even reinstall your network card. Other than that, I am not aware of any other ways to repair the files except by reformatting.

~Fawks

thanks for the response. Reformatting is not an option right now, and i've got about 150GB of data that i would have to save, as well as numerous programs that cant be reinstalled. is there any possible way to reinstall the system files?

oh yeah, i did try to reinstall the protocols, and reinstall the network drivers, but no luck. im using onboard networking, would using a pci network card help in any way?

its okay, i've fixed up the problem. I scoured the microsoft knowledge base, and came up with the solution. Turns out i had corrupted winsock registry entries, tcp/ip was incorrecty reinstalled AND a program called Xfire was conflicting winsock too. Geez, i have no idea how my dad managed to do that in the hour that i was away, but damn, that sucked. "i only ran the home network wizard" my ****!:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom