why it is important to really shop around for your equipment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poizen22

Camera junky
ok so i have a small story here today that may make some jealous or be more convinced to do more research on there next big purchase. we all know getting into this hobby isnt cheap to get into at all. its important not just to walk into best buy and buy that new nikon d300s or canon d50 right off the shelf and really instead, spend time to shop around.

my fathers friend today informed me he just got a new camera and i may be upset with him lol. at first i thought he whent and bought something horrible and over priced, but he managed to get a hold of a nikon d300s body with under 1000 shutter actuation's and this fish eye lens Nikon Canada

this is the camera body in question he got Nikon Canada

he got that for a whopping 1250 canadian at a small pawnshop if i do say so myself lens or not that is an insane deal, that does include the lens and even if it didn't it is still a bargain.

next we whent down to henry's to look at lenses. hes fairly new to photography but wants products that will either not cost him an arm and that he can learn with, wich is kind of hard with digital slr's now aday's, or get some good equipment at a resonable price. so we go into this old store that only sells used equipment and managed to pick up Nikon Canada for an awsome price of 450$. he then wanted a 50mm but didnt want to spend much on a lens til he really got the feal for it so he whent and got one of these new Nikon Canada 50mm 1.8 for 159$ its not to hard on the wallet will serve him great for learning purposes. he also managed to get himself a nice 110$ bag for 89$. now i tell you all this story to show you that research is the best thing to do when getting into photography. yes its important to look into what camera is right for you, but sometimes if you shop around you really just might find several deals you cant resist like we did today. hope you all enjoy this story and i hope i inspired some new people getting into the hobby to go out and hunt well because deals like this can be found all across your city.

final thing is he basically spent the same amount of money as if he where to go and buy the body brand new .he got nice lenses and a great bag and the body all for great deals some slightly used some stuff brand spanking new. all of this cost him the same ammount of money as if he just ran into best buy and purchased a d300s body right off the shelf. he actually got more then i did when i whent and purchased my d90 he even got his d300s for less then what i spent on my d90 at the time i had purchased it( 1500$ after taxes) tbh i felt good helping a friend out but i felt kind of nieve being so silly and rushing my purchase because i was so excited to finaly get my d90 i couldnt wait, its funny because he had even offered to take me out and look.

Yeh, you can definitely get some great deals on photography stuff if you look around - i don't personally buy any, because while i enjoy it, it's very expensive and i have other cheaper hobbies so those tend to take preference. It's more my parents and grandparents that spend alot on cameras.

Maybe if i get a job this summer i'll pick up a Panasonic GH1, i quite like the look of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom