Who's hungry?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have run my 8800GT's full load over 80C, even up to 90C for more than a year with no issues.

And ive tested games on the cards and still no artifacts or crashes. anything past 90C is a no go though.

That would be heat my friend.
nah heat is not the problem.

I have been offline most of today as well. Been gaming alot, and for some reason my connection keeps dropping,hopefully it does not do it over night, other wise they will jsut be sitting there, because i have to fix it when it drops.

It isnt the heat i am worried about. The card was a gift from carnageX and he used it for folding himself. So i dont know how much folding he did on it or for how long. But i do know that when i have the GPU folding and i try to do anything, even open explorer, it lags massively. Which isnt normal. I could have my PC running for just a few hours with those temps and try to do something and it lags.

Openeing a browser, explorer or anything lags. It takes 3x longer to do anything. So i am kinda thinking that the card is either being worked to much or something cause it isnt normal the behavior that it is exhibiting. I never got that with my 8600GT before. So i am concerned that the card might be starting to fail if i keep pushing it. I would hate to kill the card and be forced back to my 8600GT.

nah heat is not the problem.

I have been offline most of today as well. Been gaming alot, and for some reason my connection keeps dropping,hopefully it does not do it over night, other wise they will jsut be sitting there, because i have to fix it when it drops.

You sure??

SMP plus two cards folding is hard to keep cool. The temps may be higher when you arent paying attention.

It isnt the heat i am worried about. The card was a gift from carnageX and he used it for folding himself. So i dont know how much folding he did on it or for how long. But i do know that when i have the GPU folding and i try to do anything, even open explorer, it lags massively. Which isnt normal. I could have my PC running for just a few hours with those temps and try to do something and it lags.

Openeing a browser, explorer or anything lags. It takes 3x longer to do anything. So i am kinda thinking that the card is either being worked to much or something cause it isnt normal the behavior that it is exhibiting. I never got that with my 8600GT before. So i am concerned that the card might be starting to fail if i keep pushing it. I would hate to kill the card and be forced back to my 8600GT.

Mak, I don't know if you'll take my advice and take me seriously, but what type of programs are running in the background ?
Is your antivirus and firewalll on low profile mode ? also have you told F@H clients to tone down the work speed ?

I realize you've been add it a **** of alot longer then I have but it could be something simple maybe...
When I fold using F@H gpu windows and DOS version, I usually keep maybe one or two programs open all day if they are applications that don't need alot of cpu usage or memory.
Examples are IE8 with 2 tabs, avast 3 ZA and maybe winamp to play japanese rock while I am there or not.

Last, if you really need to work on your pc which I am sure of just close down F@H for about a hour, defragg and clear up some memory usage.
That should help you a little bit, whens your birthday ?
You helped me out with a favor last year least I could do is paypal you 15.00 to fund you a new card if you need it. :)

Rican, i only run 1 SMP and 1 GPU. I have a gadget that monitors my GPU temps at all times. So i get a constant update on what my temps are GPU wise. I know my CPU gets up to about 44C as i check that constantly as well. I has never hit above 50. Plus i keep my window open at all times to help keep cold air coming into the room.

Mike -

I dont have a firewall. So that isnt a concern. My AV is MSE and it has never interferred before. So i dont see why that would be a concern now. I have my CPU and GPU set to normal priority not high like everyone has told me. So that isnt the concern.

When i am browsing i only have 2 tabs open in Dragon which uses less resouces than any other browser. Right now with TF and FB open it is using less then 25K of RAM. Outlook is open, and that can eat RAM, but it is not eating any CPU cycles and it has never affected me in all of the time i have been folding.

I dont have to defrag. Win7 comes with an auto defrag. So it does it all for me. Plus i have not installed anything in the past 2 months that would account for fragmentation to occur. My system has been static for a couple of months now due to no new betas being released and the fact i am working so i am not on my PC much.

I have taken into account everything. I have tried just running MSE with my F@H stuff. It still happens. So i know it isnt anything else that i have going on. I have removed every varible from the equation. the only thing static in the equation is F@H GPU. Which it always happens when that is running.

I have even gone as far as shutting down my GPU and then trying to use the PC. It still happens until i restart. After the restart the temps go down to mid 50C range and everything acts normal. But once i have F@H GPU running for a few hours, it starts up again. But if i stop my GPU for a few days and start it back up, everything is fine again. I can fold and do what i want. Giving my GPU the break for a few days helps it. So given everything that i have done to try and figure it out, it all comes down to the GPU being taxed to much to the point that it is starting to worry me that it might be on the verge of failure.

You sure??

SMP plus two cards folding is hard to keep cool. The temps may be higher when you arent paying attention.
im not running 2 cards at the moment, just the one 9600gt....i have to wait till monday to put the 260 in.

Well you just answered your own question, the video card is probably at fault.
I don't know what your tastes are for video cards, but which do you trust the most and how much do you want to spend ?
Once I find that out right before I go to sleep tonight I'll reply back here or pm if you want with a few ideas.

Just be thankin your lucky stars it's not the cpu or mobo getting ready to give up on you. :p

Rican, i didnt think that it might be bad WU. But it seems strange that it would be happening time after time. I know for a fact that 3 separate times today that this happened and each time it was a different WU.

Mike, yeah i know it might be the card. Like i first said it was a gift and i dont know how much wear and tear was put on it before i got it. But i wasnt about to look a gift horse in the mouth. ;)

My preference is nVidia. I have had some really bad luck with ATi over the years. I am not fussed about getting a new one as i have 2 cards sitting here collecting dust right now. My 8600GT and my vanilla 6800 as well. So if the card does die i have something to use. May not be as powerful, but at least it is something. I am just trying to make the card last a bit longer since it has only been in use as long as i have had this current setup. Would be a shame to kill it after just about 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom