What would you change about Windows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hampton

Yee Ol' Salt
What would you change about Windows to make it the best OS on the Market today?

I for one would have them make a built in registry cleaner/fixer instead of relying on third party apps to make Windows run smoothly.

I would also have the main install, install all directX runtime files since directX is a windows program and it is necessary for most 3d apps to run correctly.

I would also have them offer their own AV program that is on by default unless you choose a 3rd party AV instead, (does Win Defender actually work?)

I would have a codec install pack that was more usable like K-lite

I like that they have incorporated some photo editing/screen capture tools in Win 7.

What would you want/change?

Thanks for being here and sharing your opinions.

The price. That's my main complaint. It shouldn't be more than $50.

Also, don't include a registry cleaner; just do away with the registry. It was way better when each program just used their own ini file.

They can't really include an anti-virus. They already push the limits by integrating IE and WMP. Think what kind of law suits they'd have in Europe if they integrated and AV, too!

What would you change about Windows to make it the best OS on the Market today?

I for one would have them make a built in registry cleaner/fixer instead of relying on third party apps to make Windows run smoothly.

Already has one. RegDelNull. Sysinternals.

RegDelNull

There is also RegMon and RegJump along with a Root Kit Revealer.

I would also have the main install, install all directX runtime files since directX is a windows program and it is necessary for most 3d apps to run correctly.

DX is updated more than Windows. So you show me how something that gets monthly or bi monthly updates to install by default without having to send out new media to everyone and i will make sure to send that feedback to them. Not everyone has Windows connected to the internet during the install to do such a task. Which is why it is left on the user to do it. Plus not everyone needs it. I have no need for DX9 since i dont game. So having that installed would only bloat my install .

I would also have them offer their own AV program that is on by default unless you choose a 3rd party AV instead, (does Win Defender actually work?)

EU wouldnt allow it. Norton and McAfee wouldnt allow it. Check for OneCare now and as of June 09 that will be gone and look for Morro. That comes out in July and will be free.

I would have a codec install pack that was more usable like K-lite

If i am not mistaken, Osiris has a post about this in the Win7 Thread that they do have codecs being installed on Win7 now...

I like that they have incorporated some photo editing/screen capture tools in Win 7.

They are a part of the Windows Live Package which is available for all version of Windows from XP on.

I do agree with forrest saying that the price should be lower. No reason for Widows to cost $500.

Already has one. RegDelNull. Sysinternals.

RegDelNull

There is also RegMon and RegJump along with a Root Kit Revealer.

Does it fix the registry errors in the background like the vista and later disk defrag? if not that is what I am referring to. (auto fix / idiot proof)

DX is updated more than Windows. So you show me how something that gets monthly or bi monthly updates to install by default without having to send out new media to everyone and i will make sure to send that feedback to them. Not everyone has Windows connected to the internet during the install to do such a task. Which is why it is left on the user to do it. Plus not everyone needs it. I have no need for DX9 since i don't game. So having that installed would only bloat my install .

I would hardly call 64mb bloatware, lol and should be included in Win auto updates.

EU wouldn't allow it. Norton and McAfee wouldn't allow it. Check for OneCare now and as of June 09 that will be gone and look for Morro. That comes out in July and will be free.

? and if it were on by default this would be worse then Norton and McAfee having their inferior joke of AV expire before you buy the preman PC ware bundled?, the average consumer is not interested in learning Osiris's guide to be able to own and use their pc, nor should they. but God bless Osirus for all his work, he is a god send to the average user.

If i am not mistaken, Osiris has a post about this in the Win7 Thread that they do have codecs being installed on Win7 now...

Again God bless Osiris for all his work, but the installed codecs are not enough.

They are a part of the Windows Live Package which is available for all version of Windows from XP on.
Did not know that, TY. but it didn't come with XP or Vista like it is on Win 7.
unless its hidden away in Accessories and I didn't notice it there.

I do agree with forrest saying that the price should be lower. No reason for Widows to cost $500.

What version costs $500? lol, Vista ultimate retails for $300, which I agree is way over priced.

Does it fix the registry errors in the background like the vista and later disk defrag? if not that is what I am referring to. (auto fix / idiot proof

Try it and see.

I would hardly call 64mb bloatware, lol and should be included in Win auto updates.

Again why? I have no need for it. 64 MB on a 40GB partition is a lot when you are Beta testing and install/removing software constantly.

? and if it were on by default this would be worse then Norton and McAfee having their inferior joke of AV expire before you buy the preman PC ware bundled?, the average consumer is not interested in learning Osiris's guide to be able to own and use their pc, nor should they. but God bless Osirus for all his work, he is a god send to the average user.

The EU has issues with WMP being installed by default. They now charged M$ with IE being installed do you really think they would allow a AV?

Check Google. You will see that both Norton and McAfee threw a fit when Vista was in testing cause they denied them access for their program to work. There is no way that they would allow a M$ AV to be installed by default no matter how bad their software is. It will be considered Anticompetitive by the DOJ.

Again God bless Osiris for all his work, but the installed codecs are not enough.

Yes not all are. But then again, Bloat. If you are not a multimedia person there is no need for the codecs. You cant sit there and say to include things that will inflate the size of the OS installed then turn around and have people complain that it takes 40GB partition minimum to install. Something must be sacrificed and therefor codecs which are not needed by everyone is one of the things to go.

Did not know that, TY. but it didn't come with XP or Vista like it is on Win 7.
unless its hidden away in Accessories and I didn't notice it there.

What program in particular are you talking about? Cause the same programs that are on the Win7 start menu, are also on Vista. Which were both developed after XP.

What version costs $500? lol, Vista ultimate retails for $300, which I agree is way over priced.

Actually Vista Ultimate Retailed at $400 when it was first released. I was overestimating.

Thanks for pouring cold water all over my ideas, lol, but this post was to get other members to post things they would like to see on a windows install "out of box" not an attack on M$ or any mods or admin here.. just new and fresh or old idea's revamped.

I am not trying to pour cold water over your idea. In fact i am trying to show you how Microsoft is trying to implement quite a few of your ideas and how some of them are not possible given certain situations.

I have submitted feedback to Microsoft on several things i would like to see changed about Windows 7. I have gotten feedback directly from the Development Team as well. So anything is possible.

I am merely just trying to show how some things like DX, Codecs are not in the minds of every user. IF you are a gamer then yeah DX is going to be very important to you. But being a non-gamer, i should say a casual gamer, i dotn have the dying need to have DX installed on my PC by default. Codecs i see the issue being that there are so many out there which ones do you include? If you say all well then you have to get the rights from Divx and all the other places to get them included which will be even harder for Microsoft.

I think some of the ideas have merit. I am merely trying to show you how it is going to be looked at from a different point of view and how M$ is most likely going to see it. They have to think for the populous. Not just advocates of 1 thing or another.

If that was the case we would see Windows Gamer Edition, Windows Media Edition, Windows Web Edition, Windows Ultimate Edition. But then would still have to figure out which stuff to put in for businesses.

I think you have a point about DX at least being offered on WU. I mean the system can detect what version of DX you have. If you have a Runtimes installed and it gets updated why not have a update come down and be installed for you? Why should you have to go find it. So yes that is a very valid point.

The codec issue is never going away cause we cant get a unified codec for everything. If there wasnt a codec for jsut about every conversion method out there then i could see a resolution. But at this time M$ will include this set and not that set then someone will come along and go "Well why was that set included and not this set?"

It is hard to make everyone happy. I am just trying to give reasons for the madness.

Personally i already gave my feedback and will continue to do so. I work with Windows as is previously cause i didnt give them my feedback. So i worked with it as it was cause i didnt tell them how i felt. So i jsut dealt with it and worked around it. Force of habit after all the years i worked on a PC.

Vista Ultimate ran for $399.99 and saw the 64bit disk as well as the 32bit installation dvd included or at least a coupon for the 64bit edition.

When buying OEM you only get one disk there for the original $219.99 price tag now seen at newegg for $179.99 with SP1 included. Newegg.com - Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate SP1 32-bit for System Builders - Operating Systems

If you are not running any games you may still run into a situation where certain parts of the DirectX API(Application Protocol Interface) originally known as the Game SDK. For multimedia as well as gaming where 3d graphics come in strongly there Direct sound, Direct input, and other hardwares come into play.

It wouldn't be too bad an idea to actually see a larger selection of editions with each new version for more specific applications. The main problem would seeing that as not being as practical since most people end up multitasking for other things besides games and multimedia to start with.

As far as registry cleaners someone came out with one for registry entries left behind when applying the compatibility mode seeing new entries created for that and later the program is removed leaving those behind. Compatibility Mode Cleaner by Marc Foumberg

Personally, I'd like to see more native ISO support. ISO's are becoming very popular, and I'd like to see a native virtual drive within Windows that was similar to a lot of existing virtual drive software. THey're at least getting a decent start by including an ISO burner within Windows with 7 now.

Personally, I'd like to see more native ISO support. ISO's are becoming very popular, and I'd like to see a native virtual drive within Windows that was similar to a lot of existing virtual drive software. THey're at least getting a decent start by including an ISO burner within Windows with 7 now.

Great Idea! the only reason why they may have steered away from it in the past is mostly in-part of they have been accused of being piracy machine makers and that would be the virtual icing on the cake ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom