What is the FPS limiter for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm almost 100% sure the human eye can't tell the difference after like 50 fps :\ so I don't think they'll be any noticeable difference if you're game is getting 90 before v-sync but only 60 after it :\

60 is the point where the average human cant tell the difference if there is any higher, i personally can tell up to about 75.

And it does not affect performance at all. Limiting to 60 fps simply means you're lowering the maximum amount. Performance is measured by how fast your system takes to process something. Lowering a game to 60 fps does not make your system less capable or work any harder.
That isn't all I meant. Vsync is great (to some, I hate it) until your card can't keep the FPS at 60, or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is. Because vsync wants to sync every frame with the monitor refresh rate, if at ANY point your fps drops lower than 60, it is instantly halved to 30, or if below that, the next number that 60 is divisible by, and so on. Even if your system is capable of say, 50fps, and you enable vsync, it will still be halved to 30 to evenly sync frames with your monitor. Frame buffers help a little bit, but they don't eliminate the problem completely. So it does affect performance, in some cases.

That isn't all I meant. Vsync is great (to some, I hate it) until your card can't keep the FPS at 60, or whatever your monitor's refresh rate is. Because vsync wants to sync every frame with the monitor refresh rate, if at ANY point your fps drops lower than 60, it is instantly halved to 30, or if below that, the next number that 60 is divisible by, and so on. Even if your system is capable of say, 50fps, and you enable vsync, it will still be halved to 30 to evenly sync frames with your monitor. Frame buffers help a little bit, but they don't eliminate the problem completely. So it does affect performance, in some cases.

wow i didn't know it had that big of an effect of things :\ wow, you learn something new every day :D

Urban Terror which is a free game gives you the option to limit the FPS from 60-120.

No it doesn't funky.

Also, about the eye:

Wikipedia said:
"Although human vision has no "frame rate", it may be possible to investigate the consequences of changes in frame rate for human observers. If the image is switching between black and white each frame, then this image will appear to flicker when the pattern is shown at rates slower than 100 frames per second. In other words, the flicker-fusion point, where the eyes sees gray instead of flickering tends to be around 60 Hz or greater than 100 frames per second. However, for fast moving objects, frame rates may need to be even higher to avoid judder (non-smooth motion) artifacts. And the retinal fusion point can vary in different people, as well as depending on lighting conditions."

They think it's around 100 but it varies from person to person. It's the amount of time your brain takes to process an image not the eye.

limitting frame rate...aka v sync.....

if frame rate is too high that your refresh rate of monitor cannot handle, it will cause screen artifacts... aka smerrring and lines and sloppy and whatever. v sync on is to reduce artifacts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom