Upgrading my PC for gaming

Parish87

Solid State Member
Hi guys, as you can see from my post count i'm new here so take it easy on me please, I apologise in advance if I ask something which is a simple answer because whilst I know my way around a computer reading some of the threads here makes my head want to explode ;)

Anyways, i'm looking to upgrade my PC to help with in handling gaming better. I can just about get by at the moment playing what I do on the lowest settings possible (such as WoW and other older games) but I have started to get into my PC gaming more and i'd like to be able to pick up a game on Steam without worrying that my system won't run it.

The PC I have at the moment is a HP Pavillion Slimline, model number s5325uk - it has 4gb of Ram (3.87gb useable) and an Intel Core i3 CPU (2.93ghz).

The Graphics card is probably the biggest downfall, I think it's quite old and not suitable for running games at a high level - it's an nVidia GeForce G210 - I couldn't even find it on your list of Graphics Cards in order of power so i'm assuming it's pretty awful.

Anyway, what should I do? Do I just need a new Graphics Card? I understand getting a new card also effects other things such as power supply? Any help would be great - i'm not looking for it to blow my head off in amazement, just something that will let me run most games on medium-high graphics. My budget is probably around £150-200.

Thanks! :) Let me know if you need any information off me in order to be able to help me.

Well the main issue is the that the HP slimline have a special power supply. You can't simply upgrade the power supply. The over all specs of your computer are decent. I would say that is you upgraded the graphics card you would be okay, but to do that you would need to change the power supply. Maybe someone else here knows of a solution to your problem, but as far as I know you can't simply upgrade the HP Slimline.

Your CPU is an i3 530, and your PSU is a 220w.

Your biggest issue here is for sure your graphics card. Bottom of the barrel I'm afraid. Your second biggest issue is indeed your PSU. 220w wont push anything decent, and with your budget I'm afraid you wont be able to upgrade to much.

Third issue which we can work around is the case. Being slim you have 3 issues at hand. Size (low profile cards limit your options), heat (more powerful cards generate more heat where airflow is an issue), and power supply. PSU being the biggest out of those because they don't make very high wattage PSUs in that form factor.

Here is a GPU that would be a considerate upgrade from your current card.
XFX HD 6670 Low Profile AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB - HD-667X-CLF2 - Scan.co.uk

Only issue is, finding a PSU that will go in your case.
They make them, but currently I can't find one on the two sites I know that ship to the UK.
You would need something like this.
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/300w-be-quiet!-tfx-power-80-plus-80mm-fan-atx-v23-psu

Found it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Power-300W-Small/dp/B002OCSQI0/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

Last edited:
Your CPU is an i3 530, and your PSU is a 220w.

Your biggest issue here is for sure your graphics card. Bottom of the barrel I'm afraid. Your second biggest issue is indeed your PSU. 220w wont push anything decent, and with your budget I'm afraid you wont be able to upgrade to much.

Third issue which we can work around is the case. Being slim you have 3 issues at hand. Size (low profile cards limit your options), heat (more powerful cards generate more heat where airflow is an issue), and power supply. PSU being the biggest out of those because they don't make very high wattage PSUs in that form factor.

Here is a GPU that would be a considerate upgrade from your current card.
XFX HD 6670 Low Profile AMD Radeon Graphics Card - 2GB - HD-667X-CLF2 - Scan.co.uk

Only issue is, finding a PSU that will go in your case.
They make them, but currently I can't find one on the two sites I know that ship to the UK.
You would need something like this.
be quiet! BN136 TFX Power Power Supply - 300W - Scan.co.uk

Found it.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Be-Quiet-Power-300W-Small/dp/B002OCSQI0/ref=pd_cp_computers_0

That's fantastic help.

So basically, those two items will give a considerable upgrade to my PC for gaming purposes? Do you think i'd need anything else?

And finally, would it be an easy thing to do myself? I've never really done anything like this before but i'm not an imbecile, if there's a video for me to watch to learn how to do it I pick things up quickly.

Thanks very much.

Yes the GPU upgrade will make a considerable difference in performance. With left over budget you could do with 8GB of RAM too, and maybe a used i5 but I wont push it. Your main issue is simply the GPU, which of course requires a new PSU. The GPU is the #1 part holding you back right now. You'll see maybe some slight CPU bottleneck but even then, your issue will still be the GPU even with the 6670. Unfortunately for you, I think the 6670 is the best low profile card you can buy over there.
Don't be discouraged though, it's a huge upgrade over the 210.

Yes the GPU upgrade will make a considerable difference in performance. With left over budget you could do with 8GB of RAM too, and maybe a used i5 but I wont push it. Your main issue is simply the GPU, which of course requires a new PSU. The GPU is the #1 part holding you back right now. You'll see maybe some slight CPU bottleneck but even then, your issue will still be the GPU even with the 6670. Unfortunately for you, I think the 6670 is the best low profile card you can buy over there.
Don't be discouraged though, it's a huge upgrade over the 210.

Good stuff, i'll look at ordering them now.

In terms of installation though, should be easy enough?

Hi guys, as you can see from my post count i'm new here so take it easy on me please, I apologise in advance if I ask something which is a simple answer because whilst I know my way around a computer reading some of the threads here makes my head want to explode ;)

Anyways, i'm looking to upgrade my PC to help with in handling gaming better. I can just about get by at the moment playing what I do on the lowest settings possible (such as WoW and other older games) but I have started to get into my PC gaming more and i'd like to be able to pick up a game on Steam without worrying that my system won't run it.

The PC I have at the moment is a HP Pavillion Slimline, model number s5325uk - it has 4gb of Ram (3.87gb useable) and an Intel Core i3 CPU (2.93ghz).

The Graphics card is probably the biggest downfall, I think it's quite old and not suitable for running games at a high level - it's an nVidia GeForce G210 - I couldn't even find it on your list of Graphics Cards in order of power so i'm assuming it's pretty awful.

Anyway, what should I do? Do I just need a new Graphics Card? I understand getting a new card also effects other things such as power supply? Any help would be great - i'm not looking for it to blow my head off in amazement, just something that will let me run most games on medium-high graphics. My budget is probably around £150-200.

Thanks! :) Let me know if you need any information off me in order to be able to help me.

The problem is I think only low profile cards will fit in your Pc because the case is slim line and therefore won't have the clearance for a bigger GPU. Im not really sure about the performance of low profile cards.

This is the best low profile card I could find

Sapphire HD 7750 Low Profile Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [11202-10-20G]

If you check the review that is on there the guy is running it with a 220w PSU, but I'm not so sure if it is the greatest idea. Wait until someone with a bit more experience replies.

Here is a benchmark of the card, but bear in mind the rest of the guys system outperforms yours.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Low Profile Review » Page 7 - Testing: Battlefield 3 - Overclockers Club

Edit: had to do something, came back and PP had already answered everything. lol. Better he helps you anyways :)

@PP the best I could find is the 7750 I linked.

Last edited:
Good stuff, i'll look at ordering them now.

In terms of installation though, should be easy enough?
Yea piece of cake.

The problem is I think only low profile cards will fit in your Pc because the case is slim line and therefore won't have the clearance for a bigger GPU. Im not really sure about the performance of low profile cards.

This is the best low profile card I could find

Sapphire HD 7750 Low Profile Edition 1024MB GDDR5 PCI-Express Graphics Card [11202-10-20G]

If you check the review that is on there the guy is running it with a 220w PSU, but I'm not so sure if it is the greatest idea. Wait until someone with a bit more experience replies.

Here is a benchmark of the card, but bear in mind the rest of the guys system outperforms yours.

Sapphire Radeon HD 7750 Low Profile Review » Page 7 - Testing: Battlefield 3 - Overclockers Club

Edit: had to do something, came back and PP had already answered everything. lol. Better he helps you anyways :)

@PP the best I could find is the 7750 I linked.
Ah yea, I thought there was a 7 series low profile.

So you guys would agree with going with PP's suggestions over Mischa's?

Well my suggestion is primarily the same, upgrade the GPU and power supply. The card I posted is better than the one PP posted so if you can stretch your budget then I'd go for it. I assume the PSU PP listed will cover the 7750 I posted. Then like PP said if you still have some money go for a i5 CPU.

:)

Back
Top Bottom