Unsupported video card

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well you are 100% that they will fail....and choosing to ignore the fact that Nvidia did address the issue months ago.

And yes many people said desktop boards were affected too. This is not a new thing it has been brought up many times before.

First of all, turning up the speed of the fans was not a solution to the problem. It just makes the cards live longer than they normally would have.

Secondly, I never mentioned the mobile part failure had anything to do with the desktop variants.

Thirdly, you know how nvidia is addressing the issue? Their solution is to buy a new laptop. I'm sorry you don't read the news or are just too encompassed in bias to think straight or accept reality.

Of course....they just need to cover themselves. As far as desktop boards go, i have three running 24/7 on full load with no issues.

One has been running for over a year, and other two for a good 6-8 months. Overclocked as well.

If i remember correctly the main issue was heat related, and the notebook vendors sent out bios revisions which upped the fan speed....eliminating the issue.

Anyone who didnt get a bios update can just install rivatuner and turn up the fan speed manually...no biggie.

Generally I've never had any problems with boards until the first one on this build simply gave out after the first few days. A friend received 3 dead boards in a row until I suggested a different model or make and model. The vendor told him: "we probably had a bad batch come in again.".

The rest of the time you usually get a board or other product that will last for years. But that's why they have return/exchange policies.

First of all, turning up the speed of the fans was not a solution to the problem. It just makes the cards live longer than they normally would have.

Secondly, I never mentioned the mobile part failure had anything to do with the desktop variants.

Thirdly, you know how nvidia is addressing the issue? They're solution is to buy a new laptop. I'm sorry you don't read the news or are just too encompassed in bias to think straight.

The fan speed was too low, causing the gpu's to fail...hence turning up the fan speed is the fix to the problem.

So you are referring to the thread about a "leaked internal memo?". Ok lets analyze it shall we??

NVIDIA is committed to providing our customers with quality products that push the edge of technology and also continuously improve product quality and reliability. To help improve the product quality and ensure smooth and uninterrupted product supply during the current “end stage” of life cycle, NVIDIA strongly recommends that customers transition to this latest revision of the NB8E-SET GPUs as soon as possible. These latest revision units utilize “Hitachi” underfill packaging material that improves product quality and enhances operating life by improved thermal cycling reliability.
And where does that say to buy new gpu's??

To me it looks like its telling the vendors to move over to the new batch which is improved. Nvidia could be replacing them for free for all we know.

Just another case of people taking things out of context. Not being biased. If somebody wants a gaming laptop, then they want a gaming laptop.

Nvidia is the leader here until ATI starts putting the higher end stuff into them.

First of all, where does that leave off people who already own 8 series cards? My friend just had his laptop replaced with... another refurbished, faulty, 8 series card. So the solution is actually buy a new laptop when it comes down to the consumer.

You're also missing the point, the issue with the mobile 8 series cards has never been caused by the fan. It's just temporary postponement of guaranteed failure. If this is the case, then why is nvidia claiming faulty chips when pc vendors could have just turned up speeds in the first place -- causing no controversy whatsoever.

The reason was bad solder material that held the chipset to the board cracked and caused failure. Cooling the card slightly more isn't a solution do the the constant increase and decrease in temperatures; these gpus will eventually fail.

I honestly don't understand how you can sit there and not acknowledge nvidia's fault. How could you possibly recommend any mobile chip from nvidia... let alone a gaming one? Reports show that even the 9600m series uses the same defective solder material.

The only thing I can think of is pure bias.

Sorry, but i can recommend it because i know many who are happy with them.

And the issue is heat-related:
Apparently, problems arise at what Nvidia claims to be “extreme temperatures” and what we hear may be temperatures not too much above 70 degrees Celsius.

What supports the theory that a high-lead solder bump in fact is at fault is the fact that Nvidia ordered an immediate switch to use eutectic solders instead of high-lead versions in the last week of July. Eutectic solders are believed to solve the problem of fatigue cracking.

So as of July nvidia has addressed the issue.

Again, ATI has nothing in the high end. If someone wants a higher end gaming laptop, then thats what they want.

Guys on this forum have laptops with mobile nvidia chips are run them everyday, under heavy stress without issues.

I will continue to recommend then until i see a comparable system from ATI.

I don't get your logic, you can live with yourself at night by knowingly recommending faulty parts just because a minority of users aren't experiencing problems with this as of now?

Of course heat is the cause of the problem... but again you are missing the point. Heat is what is destroying these cards do the to faulty solder ... which hasn't been fixed yet. So even if you are cooling the cards a little bit better with the firmware updates, the constant fluxuation in temperature will kill these mobile parts.

Regardless we already know that the 8600M won't be being used since the OP's laptop will simply have to be replaced with either a better performer in laptop form or simply building a gaming case. Those are two options available there.

Rican I have to agree with aaronkupen, the issue isn't a cooling one. Its a design one. Nvidia is using a faulty type of solder that gets stress fractures from the constant expansion and contraction of heating. Apple had an issue similar to this several years ago in their laptops. They literally had chips falling off the motherboards in laptops because the solder failed. Increasing the cooling will only make the expansion and contraction less intense which will in turn slow the process to failure. It is still going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom