"Unable to access network"

Well seems to have done the trick as far as I can tell! Bonus: even games are running better than they were - I didn't even notice how bad they were running until I saw how good they run now. Yeesh.

In all my computering I have never had to update a wireless/lan card driver.

Thanks again. I truly do appreciate you taking your time to help me!

No problem - that's usually the first thing I try updating whenever I'm troubleshooting network issues if its only 1 system having an issue; besides making sure the wifi switch is turned on, of course lol.

So...strange thing. Everything worked great for about 45mins, then it all went south again. It's now taking around 1min for my browser to time out and instead of the "unable to access network" error it gives me "<website> is unavailable."

I've gone through all the same steps again running spyware checkers and clearing cache etc.

Well, if you still got it in you, any suggestions on what might be next? Sorry mate.

Can you ping the websites when that happens? Or can you even ping your router's IP address?

Can you ping the websites when that happens? Or can you even ping your router's IP address?

mk so here's some results. I dinked on imgur until it did the page freeze thing again and ran a ping while it was frozen. The command I'm using is "ping -r 1 <ping target>"

---------------------------------------------------
"Ping request could not find www.imgur.com"

When I tried a ping maybe 30 seconds before that:

Playing of cf-ssl11496-protected-www.imgur.com [103.31.6.33] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=30ms TIL=56
-Route: 76.28.136.151
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=32ms TIL=56
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=31ms TIL=56
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=30ms TIL=56

Ping statistics for 103.31.6.33:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0
Approximate Round Trip Times:
Min: 30ms, Max: 32, Avg: 30ms

Then, as soon as the page timed out and it gave the "webpage unavailable" error, I hit refresh and with a very slit delay the page displayed properly. Only this time I ran a ping and got some packet loss:

Playing of cf-ssl11496-protected-www.imgur.com [103.31.6.33] with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=133ms TIL=56
Reply from <above IP>: bytes=32 time=267ms TIL=56

Ping statistics for 103.31.6.33:
Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 4, Lost = 2 <50% loss>
Approximate Round Trip Times:
Min: 133ms, Max: 267, Avg: 200ms

I've run around 10 pings to 76.28.136.151 and get the same 3 varied results: 1) Rare get full packet return and pings around 30ms. 2) Request times out completely. 3) Mixed time out and packet loss of almost always 50% with pings over 300-500ms.

So the weirder thing (maybe just to me since I don't know much) is that when I run "ipconfig" to get my router IP (i.e. "Default Gateway") I am presented with a "Default Gateway" with mixed letters and numbers, instead of what I expected as a standard ###.###.#.# format. Then when I check it from my wife's computer, it shows that address the same except for 1 of the digits. When I try to ping the mixed number-letter gateway I get:

PING: transmit failed. General failure.

Strangely, I get this same response every time, using the default gateway shown for both my wife's and my system using both computers.

Hope that infor was presented in a palatable way and gives you something to work on. :/ I've run 3 different spy scanner, 2 registry cleaners/scanners, and a virus scanner and they all come up dry, so I'm inclined to think it's a hardware issue. But I don't know that if my wireless card was "dying" what that would even look like or how that happens - or why, for a machine that is barely a year old.

Cheers mate. Thanks.

Try disabling IPv6 on your wifi card.

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Adapter Settings on the left panel > right click your wifi connection > Properties > uncheck IPv6 > Click OK

Try disabling IPv6 on your wifi card.

Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Adapter Settings on the left panel > right click your wifi connection > Properties > uncheck IPv6 > Click OK

Did it, restarted, but didn't change anything.

I just got back from stopping by my ISP's office and picked up an ethernet cable. I disabled my wireless card and plugged it in and everything is humming along perfectly.

Do you think I may just need to replace the card then? If so it seems newegg has a decent option: TRENDnet TEW-421PC 802.11g Wireless PC Card - Newegg.com

Back
Top Bottom