"Unable to access network"

no4o2xf

Solid State Member
I started getting this error about 2 days ago. That is the phrase that Chrome pops up, but I get a similar error when using FireFox or even Explorer.

I'll click a webpage and see the circle on the tab that indicates it's loading, but after about 2-3 sec I know it is just going to sit there for 10 more sec before it gives me this error. I then hit refresh and it says "unable to connect to internet" then I hit refresh again and it brings me the page right away (usually). This error is happening with any and all pages and happens about 25% of the time I click to access something in my browser.

Some background:
Wireless connection (I'm literally 3' from the router)
No, I've never had this problem before
I cannot correlate this to any recent program downloads
I have no active anti-virus (e.g. norton or other)

What I've tried:
Resetting router multiple times.
Reinstalling Chrome and also removing the "default" file; cleaning cache etc.
I've run Spybot, ADWcleaner, CCleaner and then deleted each of these programs to avoid conflicts.
Running all new Windows updates.
Setting Chrome for firewall access.
Lastly I've even run a system restore to 3 weeks ago and still no solution.

There are 3 computers that use this network and they don't have this issue. It seems it may even be affecting other programs that require internet access. I tried to open a steam game last night and it gave an "unable to connect to internet" error, then I refreshed it and it worked fine - no issues while the game was running though.

Thanks for any direction on this issue. I'm kind at the point of just fdisking it.

Have you tired updating your drivers (NOT through Windows update or the "Update driver..." context menu from Device Manager, but directly from the wifi card manufacturer)? Have you tried a wired connection to see if it works over that?

My Atheros AR9485 appears to have the latest driver (from 2012)

I'll have to track down an ethernet cable, my box is a modem+router so I can't jack straight in to the modem with their cable. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Though I would like to eventually use my connection wirelessly.

Try doing a ping -t to various websites for 20 minutes or so. See if you get any dropped packets.

Other than that it does sound like you are temporarily dropping connection. Is there anything around that could cause interference, such as a microwave ?

I have some 2.4Ghz wireless headphones that cut out straight away if I walk close to a microwave that's in use.

My Atheros AR9485 appears to have the latest driver (from 2012)

I'll have to track down an ethernet cable, my box is a modem+router so I can't jack straight in to the modem with their cable. I'll have to get back to you on that one. Though I would like to eventually use my connection wirelessly.

Latest for that card for Win7 is from 10/2013: Drivers for Atheros AR9485 and Windows 7

Latest for that card for Win7 is from 10/2013: Drivers for Atheros AR9485 and Windows 7

Odd I looked on Qualcomm and it showed 2012 being the most recent. I did see that cz site but the cz kinda scared me tbh. I've downloaded and extracted the file, but I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to apply that without a setup wizard honestly. Sorry, this is kind of becoming quite the deal isn't it...

Last edited:
Try doing a ping -t to various websites for 20 minutes or so. See if you get any dropped packets.

Other than that it does sound like you are temporarily dropping connection. Is there anything around that could cause interference, such as a microwave ?

I have some 2.4Ghz wireless headphones that cut out straight away if I walk close to a microwave that's in use.

Ya I know I am getting some packet loss. And seeing as the only thing between me and the 30 inches to my router, and I've used my computer in this spot of the last year, no there should be no interference.

Odd I looked on Qualcomm and it showed 2012 being the most recent. I did see that cz site but the cz kinda scared me tbh. I've downloaded and extracted the file, but I'm not savvy enough to figure out how to apply that without a setup wizard honestly. Sorry, this is kind of becoming quite the deal isn't it...

The CZ site is the go-to for Atheros drivers.

Extract the files > open up Device Manager > right click your wifi card > Update Driver software > Browse my Computer > select the folder you extracted the driver files to

The CZ site is the go-to for Atheros drivers.

Extract the files > open up Device Manager > right click your wifi card > Update Driver software > Browse my Computer > select the folder you extracted the driver files to

Ah okay I had no idea. I actually hadn't even heard of Atheros until today!

Ya I stumbled around and took a shot in the dark and went, "I wonder if it'll just figure it out for me..." So I just directed it to the folder I extracted to and wiz-bang it shows updated 2013 now. I'll do some surfing this evening and see if it's stable and update you.

Thanks for all your time and help so far. Really appreciated.

Ah okay I had no idea. I actually hadn't even heard of Atheros until today!

Ya I stumbled around and took a shot in the dark and went, "I wonder if it'll just figure it out for me..." So I just directed it to the folder I extracted to and wiz-bang it shows updated 2013 now. I'll do some surfing this evening and see if it's stable and update you.

Thanks for all your time and help so far. Really appreciated.

No problem, and good luck.

Back
Top Bottom