Thoughts on VNC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abstract Hero

Hyper Techie
I just have a few questions about running a VNC (Virtual Network Computing). For example, is it safe? Is it fast? Can I play games over VNC? (to be very specific Sims 3) Anything I should be aware of? What's The best freeware VNC program?

I just want to run my girlfriends machine through mine so I can work on my computer and switch to hers (or just use hers) without any swapping of peripheral cables (we're short a monitor and I don't want multiple mice and keys otherwise I'd use a monitor switch box)

We use VNC at work - I would not suggest playing games over a network with it, or with any similar client.

If you need to remote into peoples computers it is a great tool, as are a few others out there like logmein. If the goal is to play games a remote desktop client is not your solution.

We use VNC at work - I would not suggest playing games over a network with it, or with any similar client.

If you need to remote into peoples computers it is a great tool, as are a few others out there like logmein. If the goal is to play games a remote desktop client is not your solution.

Well i got RealVNC on my computer so i can access my music projects from my bands jam pad but I'll have to check out that switch. Right now we just have her desktop on a crappy monitor so no rush. haha

A KVM switch would be better but the problem is that the kayboard, mouse and video will be crappy if you want to play games.

I use RealVNC for all the remote connections I need to do. Alot more secure then Remote Desktop. It is the speed of your network.

A KVM switch would be better but the problem is that the kayboard, mouse and video will be crappy if you want to play games.

I use RealVNC for all the remote connections I need to do. Alot more secure then Remote Desktop. It is the speed of your network.

Free version of VNC traffic isn't encrypted dude...
Even the E and Pro versions aren't up to todays encryption standards. It's fast, sure, but it is not secure at all. RDP is MUCH more secure than VNC... even at their E edition.

It is more secure in the sense that you cannot just connect to the machine. You actually nned a password to connect to VNC and then login to it. Its easier to get brute force RDP then VNC.

I would not use RDP or VNC on Critical servers. Anything non-critical would be fine for remote connection. Anything critical will be VPN only.

VNC sucks. It uses bitmap images and its slow. Try freenx/nomachines. Its based on vectoriel images. Once you try it, any kvmip/vnc will look awfull

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom