technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
raross said:
Depends on the degree also, masters or 4 year degree, or even higher education. There are so many factors and I would not rely on certifications to make you stand out from the rest. But it does help, specially in IT.

Exactly what I was going to say.

Applicant A:

BS in CE, GPA 2.3 with A+

Applicant B:

BS in CE, GPA 3.8, research experience, internship

Obviously, easy choice. Why? You decide...

There are so many factors and I would not rely on certifications to make you stand out from the rest.

ItÂ’s always a good thing to get your certification. There will be more opportunities job wise if you get your proper certifications. A good place to look for help if you need it is Test King Online. Google Test King and the website should show up. It helped a lot with understanding the exams to get my A+ and Network+ certification. Good look Larry...

Go for biotechnology. Make a quantum golem with Godzilla-like powers. Program him to destroy all programmers accepting or working for overseas companies engaged in outsourcing away US jobs.

When outsourcing occurs, some jobs will invariably be lost. On the whole, however, software development jobs seem to be increasing. Then again, there seems to be a lot of conjecture. I posted the following a couple months ago.

The job market for the class of 2006 is as good as it has been in the past three or four years, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) [1]. NACE also reports the national average starting salary for graduating students majoring in computer science this spring to be $50,046 – behind only chemical, electrical, and mechanical engineering.

Lakshmi Narayanan, CEO of Cognizant, says that the trend in outsourcing is nowhere near its peak [2]. However, he does not think outsourcing is a great threat to the U.S. Ultimately, for U.S. companies, “outsourcing develops a larger global market for [their] services”.

Money magazineÂ’s top ranked career in the United States is "software engineer" [3]. The magazine reports the average salary of a software engineer to be $80,427 and predicts that the field will grow by 46% in the next 10 years.

There once was a fear that computers would take away the jobs of people. However, computers have been instrumental in creating many new jobs, and I do not think the trend will be reversed.

[1] http://money.cnn.com/2006/02/24/pf/..._2006/index.htm

[2] http://www.businessweek.com/technol...paign_id=search

[3] http://money.cnn.com/magazines/mone...op50/index.html

Link 1 = 404 Page Not Found

Link 2 = Technical Assistance / File Not Found

Link 3 = 404 Page Not Found

There is a lot of outsourcing but we seem to be making more jobs for software engineers faster then they can be outsourced. Some jobs just cant be outsourced because of security and technology.

Biotech is a hot field, it will only become hotter as time goes on. I got into bioinformatics research about a year ago and been loving it ever since. Only thing bad about biotech right now is since the field is so new, you need a PhD to be employed anywhere. But that will ease up, given some time.

Thank you jaeusm. I read the articles in the context of your post. I see your points.

And I sure hear you raross. If I could live life over again I would have been a doctor or a scientist specializing in biotechnology.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom