technology computer degrees, programs, certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in pursuing a career in the computer field. I am a senior in high school, but I have started my college by taking "Introduction to Programming and Logic". If I continue down this path, I will get an Associates Degree in Computer Programming (which apparently means nothing) and I can transfer after that as a junior to a four-year university to get a Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or Information Systems. What path would you guys recommend I take. Should I continue down the programming path or should I switch over to the CISCO Certifications (which I hear will get you a job quicker)? What certifications (A+, Network+, etc.) should I try to get along the way?

I too am interested in pursuing a career in the computer field. I am a junior in High School and want to go to a community college for one year and then transfer to a normal 4 year college. I want to learn computer programming (C++ and maybe Perl) and then after or during college I would like to possibly do some work for linux or GNOME or some kind of freeware/open source project to gain experience (I will obviously have a job doing something else during that.. like working at curcuit city or something). When I feel that I need to get a real job I will get a job working for some company making programs.

I feel like that is a very general idea of what I am going to possibly be doing... but there you go.

I noticed that somebody posted something about not being able to get a job because they didn't have enough experience, working for an open source/freeware company like linux would probably be the best way to gain experience and have something to show on your resume.

Depends I suppose. Would you be programming? If so then you could get a job working for a software company or an OS company, or you could program computer games, or console games (go with pc). Or you could program things for like devices like iPod's or something. There is a lot you can do, look it up on google.

PnkFloyd27 said:
Depends I suppose. Would you be programming? If so then you could get a job working for a software company or an OS company, or you could program computer games, or console games (go with pc). Or you could program things for like devices like iPod's or something. There is a lot you can do, look it up on google.

NOT with a computer science certificate.. Maybe with a computer science degree :)

Don't ONLY get your AA. Go for a FOUR YEAR degree. Nowadays, a 4 year degree is JUST TO ENTER the playing field. Most employers (same with Electrical/Computer Engineering) will prefer a student with a Masters degree.

Don't shoot for the low stuff, be ambitious, get that four year degree. You will have a lot more to learn and more respect.

I'm not saying you won't be respected in PC repair or basic IT admin, but don't underestimate the power of a 4 year degree or a masters. You will have much more flexibility, careerwise. Also, if you get the 4 year / masters, certifications almost mean nothing. Sure, it might help, but it won't be the deciding factor.

In short, GET A 4 YEAR DEGREE / MASTERS. How do you know you wont like computer engineering? You don't know that yet, you're only in HS. Don't base your assumptions on your AP Computer Science course. You don't even touch the tip of the iceberg.

thegiant12 said:
It�s always a good thing to get your certification. There will be more opportunities job wise if you get your proper certifications. A good place to look for help if you need it is Test King Online. Google Test King and the website should show up. It helped a lot with understanding the exams to get my A+ and Network+ certification. Good look Larry...

I don't always agree. What would is an A+ certification if you're designing a microprocessor? or a graphics card? It has no substantial benefit. I haven't used anything I have my A+ in for circuit design, in any project.

If you plan on doing PC repair, things of that sort, then sure the certifications will help. But if you're in engineering, A+ is next to nothing.

So I'm a Junior in a private university, who decided to change my major at the beginning of this year to Computer Science. I am working hard to graduate close to on time and hope to earn my BS in CS. However, I don't want to stop there, there is so much more that I want to learn, plus I would love to have enough education to help me get all the certification that I need so I can make a comfortable salary. So to have that well rounded resume what should be my next step in my education?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom