Tech Forums- we have a problem....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gothch1ck

Daemon Poster
The Xbox 360 I did the Hybrid's Xclamp fix on.... reverted back to E74 today.

Unknown is the cause.... I have opened it back up, undone and redone the thermal paste, applied pressure to the Hana chip with the penny pressure trick.. and nothing.

The secondary error code (1022) leads to GPU or Hana chip problem, or missing components between, or broken trace in there.. since it was playing for.. what.. 2 weeks without any kind of issue... I don't think it's a trace broken or something come loose.

*cries* and all I wanted to do was play Dead Rising today...

I am in the process of overheating the GPU again, hoping the new thermal paste (now more evenly spread) will help.

T minus 15 minutes and counting..

ok.. and... letting it cool.....

Got impatient, hooked the fan up and cooled it that way.. and found something odd... it works now? WTF?!

I think... I don't know what to think.. maybe my fans cool "too well" and it breaks down not being warm enough to keep whatever works, working?

I am.. at a total lost.. this machine.. is now named Pandora.. for she is a mystery...

and.. the DVD seems to be makin an odd noise.... not sure how to describe it... think it's going out?

What I found, at least for the regular X-clamp fix, is that if it stops working, tighten it more. There's a perfect level of tightness that you need to get, if you go too much it RRoD's instantly and too little and it locks up. That's how mine was before I did Hybrid fix, it's been working fine ever since then though.

it's not RROD though, it's E 74 and the system was E 74 for 20 minutes while I had it apart, then it cools off some and I put the fan back in and turn it on and it works...

I give it.. about 2 weeks. When it happens again I'll have my roommate do the fix (since he's read up on it and not camera shy) and record the whole thing, everything done.. maybe we can figure out just what is "fixing" the system.... lol

E74 is, in a way, a variant of the RRoD in my opinion. E74 is specific because it's the connections to the HANA, but these connections go from the GPU to the HANA, and E74 simply means that the connection is broken somewhere between the GPU and HANA. Let's see, which one is more likely to break? GPU obviously, it has the X-clamps and heats up a lot more, so yeah, E74 in most cases is just like RRoD. In a few cases it is the HANA itself but I think the GPU is much more probable.

I would keep the Hybrid fix on, just tighten it up more. If you have a heat gun (one that isn't ridiculously powerful, just like a craft heat gun, or even better a real reflow station) you can try using that on the GPU to heat it up and help fix the solder joints.

Took it apart, found out I apparently got impatient and put too much thermal paste on the chips, so cleaned all that off and did it again with much less this time and tightened the screws and now she works again.. except I think the DVD is going out...

when the unit powers on I can here a sort of "whirr" then when a disc in it makes a almost constant high pitch spinning noise....

Grr.... I can't find another HDMI unit anywhere, and my TV is kinda 20 years out-dated for gaming on.

I've seen a few fixes for the DVD drive, though mine seems fine...occasionally it does weird stuff though.

Today (2 weeks, 2 days after Hybrid Fix applied) my 360 did something really weird. I just started up to play GTA4, loaded the game, loaded my save, walked out of my apartment, everything was fine, then as soon as I got outside it started going weird...the colors were off, the picture was still there but there were glitchy colors over it, just little lines. Rebooted it and no more problem. I'm not sure what the cause was, it could be a GPU connection, a VGA cable issue, my stupid monitor, idk. Then I was playing Halo Wars and my DVD drive started making an intermittent clicking noise, so I stopped the game, ejected the disc, and put it back in, no more problem...weird

mine had odd thick lines from top going all the way to bottom- turn it off- turn it back on- E74. Lol.

Found out though, I adjusted the screws to where they are "barely firm" when turned, and it seems to work, watched 2 movies on it already, so I think I'll dab a little super glue on the screws so they don't jiggle any (in case that's why it happened)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom